Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Review: An Abundance of Katherines by John Green

Title:An Abundance of Katherines
Author: John Green
Published: September 1, 2013 by Dutton
Book Description:

When it comes to relationships, Colin Singleton's type happens to be girls named Katherine. And when it comes to girls named Katherine, Colin is always getting dumped. Nineteen times, to be exact. He's also a washed-up child prodigy with ten thousand dollars in his pocket, a passion for anagrams, and an overweight, Judge Judy-obsessed best friend. Colin's on a mission to prove The Theorem of Underlying Katherine Predictability, which will predict the future of all relationships, transform him from a fading prodigy into a true genius, and finally win him the girl.

Letting expectations go and allowing love in are at the heart of Colin's hilarious quest to find his missing piece and avenge dumpees everywhere.




My Thoughts:


By this time I am starting to feel that John Green likes to use an intelligent nerdy male who is affected by a female enigma and then that is where the story kicks off.

So here we are a child prodigy in the name of Colin  who dated 19 females and all their name is Katherine. It was quite a fun experience while reading this book because Colin even though he is intelligent I think I was not alienated by it. He has a certain characteristic which is likeable and also his bestfriend Hassan is hilarious. So throughout the book I was entertained by the interaction of this two and also them with other characters. 

I finished this faster compared to Looking for Alaska I think which is a determinant that I like this over the first one :D

Pacing is on the average side. There are some interesting parts and there are some boring parts. Characters are interesting as I have said earlier. Plot and setting is average also. I understand why John Green chose the place but for me I don't like it.

Keywords / Things I found interesting

Not all things are perfect. I think we as people tend to plan what we will do in the future but not everything is perfect. There will be an event that will somewhat take us of the road and sometime we need some "Soul-Searching" or some road trip to throw ourselves back in the game. I think in this book we can see how Colin tries to reason out and find out what went wrong in him dating all the Katherines. And I think for me , it is alright to have some road bumps in life. People sometimes tend to try to make everything perfect when it is not. We need to accept that there will always be mistakes and that we should just need to cope up and lift ourselves up in this kind of situations.

Second thing is that we should not stress ourselves about the future too much. The future is out there just waiting for us or just "there". Sometimes no matter how hard we try to predict, map, or reason out what will happen to the future, we just need to go with the flow. We don't need to force ourselves in the future, we just need to ride the waves of time and let it take us wherever it wants. (Although this is not the case most of the time. I am just saying we need to do this sometimes)

All in all after Looking for Alaska, I prefer this. Good Balance with characters and also story is interesting. The ending is good too.

I give this book 4 whales.

  

2 comments:

  1. This was my first ever John Green book and I really enjoyed it :-) I haven't got around to reading anymore just yet so I can't compare. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this overall! I'm supposed to be reading my first John Green book fairly soon, though I keep changing my mind about what to start with. I'm starting to notice that all his books have interesting premises, though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs