Monday, July 08, 2013

Review: Parallel by Lauren Miller

Title: Parallel
Author: Lauren Miller
Published: May 14th 2013 by HarperTeen
Book Description:
Abby Barnes had a plan. The Plan. She'd go to Northwestern, major in journalism, and land a job at a national newspaper, all before she turned twenty-two. But one tiny choice—taking a drama class her senior year of high school—changed all that. Now, on the eve of her eighteenth birthday, Abby is stuck on a Hollywood movie set, miles from where she wants to be, wishing she could rewind her life. The next morning, she's in a dorm room at Yale, with no memory of how she got there. Overnight, it's as if her past has been rewritten.

With the help of Caitlin, her science-savvy BFF, Abby discovers that this new reality is the result of a cosmic collision of parallel universes that has Abby living an alternate version of her life. And not only that: Abby's life changes every time her parallel self makes a new choice. Meanwhile, her parallel is living out Abby's senior year of high school and falling for someone Abby's never even met.

As she struggles to navigate her ever-shifting existence, forced to live out the consequences of a path she didn't choose, Abby must let go of the Plan and learn to focus on the present, without losing sight of who she is, the boy who might just be her soul mate, and the destiny that's finally within reach.

My thoughts:
I was fascinated to read this book because I’m curious about the Parallel world. What if it’s true? Lauren Miller made a book that is enormously fascinating and well crafted.

The story started at 2008, the day before Abby’s 18th birthday, and then an Earthquake occurs. Now Abby is now living in a different version of her life, it is now 2009. She is now a freshman in Yale. Somehow, the people she knows are still there but the course has slightly changed. She’s Abby alright! But the old memories she has are now tiny fragments. What really happened? Will she be living the life of uncertainty forever? Buy this awesome book to find out more.

The world-building is well crafted and easy to comprehend. There were scientific terms used but there’s no information overload. I was absorbed inside and not lost! Lauren just gave enough terms to let the readers understand the phenomenon that happened. Also, I was thinking if this book will be a Sci-fi read. Well, not quite. The setting is more of a contemporary and not futuristic; it took place in 2008 and 2009. I also love how she writes. The pacing is smooth! As you read further on, the story entices you more. I was completely glued in the book. I can hardly put it down.

The character-building is great. I like believable characters that I can connect with. I enjoyed Abby! She’s funny and real. She was able to adapt on her ever shifting reality. She’s memorable for me too, since I could totally relate to her when it comes to love –hihi-. She’s not afraid to pursue what her heart truly desires. Her friend Caitlin is smart and cool, a geek in a super model’s body. She’s the best friend everyone would like to have. As for the two boys in Abby’s parallel life, I shall leave them to your imagination.
Well, just a hint….. “The boys are hot!”  Buy this book quick!

The love-angle is fantastic! If you believe in soul mates then this book will make your heart burst. There’s also a surprise catch that I didn't foresee which gave the romance extra spice. The subtle romance is not rushed but given time to grow.

My favorite quote from the book
“Everything is a cause.
Everything we do matters.”

Overall, Parallel is an awesome read. There are some books about Parallel worlds but Lauren truly made it her own, it’s charming and heart-warming. I’m  looking forward to read another book from Lauren.


I’ll give this 4.5 shifting Whales.


9 comments:

  1. Interesting! I haven't heard all that much about this one, but it's a fascinating concept, and it sounds like the author did this really well. Thanks for the awesome review, Dannielle! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danielle I absolutely adored this book too, there was just so much insaneness going on that I was hooked throughout. And I have to agree the guys were amazing! I was totally torn between them! Fab review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad to hear such good things about this one because I'm really excited to read it :) I always love a real, relatable main character and it sounds like I'm going to Abby too. It's definitely good that the sciencey stuff isn't overloaded as well because that is so not my forte. I'm even more excited now thanks to your great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love parallel world books and this one sounds great! Ah, soul mates? I am a hopeless romantic so of course that stuff is like gold to me :)

    Glad you enjoyed it!
    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't heard much about this book, but it actually sounds amazing. Parallel worlds are so interesting, and I'm glad it's executed well. I'll definitely be picking this one up in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I there have been quite a few parallel world books out recently but this is the only one that really caught my eye. So glad you enjoyed it! Hopefully I'll get to read it before summer's over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:33 AM

    I'm so glad you enjoyed this one! It's definitely one of the stronger parallel universe stories I"ve read, and there are quite a few lately. Lovely review! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you enjoyed such a lovely sounding book! <3 This is my first review that i've read about this book and it sounds fabulous. I love the sound of the whole Parallel thing going on and how can I not be tempted with hot guys involved. ;D

    Fabulously amazing review! You have made me excited for when I get this book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also really enjoyed Parallel. I agree with you about there being great character building. I'm so excited to see what else Lauren Miller will write :) Great review!

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs