Saturday, November 23, 2013

Review: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Title: Ender's Game
Author: Orson Scott Card
Published: July 15, 1994 by Tor Science Fiction
Book Description: 
Government drafts genius child Andrew "Ender" Wiggin to defend against alien Buggers, but rejects sadistic brother Peter and beloved sister Valentine. In orbiting Battle School, rigorous military training, skill and natural leadership elevates boy to isolated position, respected by jealous rivals, pressured by teachers, afraid of invasion.


My thoughts:

Talk about late into the party. I just realized that this is a huge book with a huge fanbase once I researched about it. Honestly this is one of the books where I just discover it by it having a movie adaptation. (Coming this November, I am really excited)

So, now I want to put so many superlatives for this book. I seriously consider this as one of the best book I've read in my entire life. The pacing was spot on. The author really takes you on to a roller coaster rider of emotions because you can't help but empathize with Ender in his journey towards the book. And also some powerful emotion and situation for a child. I really really like the story of the book.

Also don't be put off with it being Sci-Fi genre. There's not a lot of weird terminology where you don't understand half the things they are saying. In fact I think some political terms are much more confusing for me than the Sci-Fi stuff.

The characters are likeable. They each serve their own purpose in the book and even thought there's a lot I feel like they are used brilliantly and appropriately in accordance to the overall story.

The ending is also good. In the back of your head I feel like you have an idea that it will happen but when you read it, it still comes as a shock and surprise. So that ending!!!! Ahhhhhhhhh!
All in all I really love this book and how it all comes together. I am excited to see it in movie form. I just wish they just handled the adaptation really well. I suggest read the book first before watching the movie.

I give this book 5 whales.



5 comments:

  1. i also didn't hear about Ender's Game until it was adapted into a movie. I'm glad you loved it so much! I am not a big fan of sci-fi and your review makes me want to read it too. I added it to my cart and hoping to buy it soon!

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm very late to the party as well as I never heard of this series until I saw the movie preview. Looks like an exciting story. Great review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I'm the same. I didn't really know about it before I saw the trailer when I went to se Thor 2. I'm glad that you liked the characters and that it ended on a good note for your taste. I hope your next read is just as good :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great you loved Ender's Game. I've been thinking about reading it too, because of all the hype around its movie. Also very interesting that the book was released in 1994 and the movie is just coming out now, 10 years later.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been meaning to read this forever! I recently tried it on audio but got bored pretty quickly, though I'm confident that's simply because I'm not always great with audio, rather than the fact that the book isn't for me. It sounds like something I'd really enjoy. I'm glad it worked for you! :)

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs