Friday, July 05, 2013

Review: Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Title: Perks of Being a Wallflower
Author: Stephen Chbosky
Published: February 1sth 1999 by MTV Books and PocketBooks
Book Description:
Charlie is a freshman.

And while he's not the biggest geek in the school, he is by no means popular. Shy, introspective, intelligent beyond his years yet socially awkward, he is a wallflower, caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it.

Charlie is attempting to navigate his way through uncharted territory: the world of first dates and mix tapes, family dramas and new friends; the world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, when all one requires is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite. But he can't stay on the sideline forever. Standing on the fringes of life offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a deeply affecting coming-of-age story that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller-coaster days known as growing up.

My thoughts:

I submitted to pressure by buying this book. This book was part of my unplanned book purchases this year. Everyone was talking about it and then there was the release of it's movie DVD. I watched it and then my friend Sarah said that it was really faithful to the book. And with that reason I decided to buy the book forcefully because I got the new lime green colored edition because I can't find anymore the orange one.

I have an idea now while reading the book because of the movie and it is one of those rare times where the movie is an almost exact replica of the book. I think this is really good since almost all of the details of the book came to life in the movie. 

The style of the book is also unique, in form of letters written by Charlie to this "friend". I never really discovered who this friend is but is it the reader? I am not sure and I don't want to be final about this thought unless someone confirms the idea. But anyway I really liked the style and we can also see the dates and how time passes by all throughout the book.

Every character is interesting which is good for me because this was the book I read after The Colossus Rises. :D

All in all good book! I really recommend it. The only reason I am giving this 4 whales is that I did not get the ending? sorry I am so stupid but I was confused about the last chapters of the book. It's just me and not the book's fault.

                    



3 comments:

  1. I actually didn't like the movie as much as the book. I feel even though the movie was very faithful, it didn't capture lots of things about the book that made me fall for it. It's probably just me thinking that though. :/

    I'm glad you loved this book! I'm not sure who the "friend" is, but somehow it does feel like he's talking to you. Which, I think, makes the book seem ever more special.

    Wonderful review! ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous3:39 AM

    I'm so glad to hear you enjoyed this! This is one of my favorites, and I really love the way it feels like Charlie is talking to you, writing letters to you. I'm not sure who the friend is either, but I think the fact that we all feel like we slide into that role easily probably means it's supposed to be the reader. But I have no idea! :-) Fabulous review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chobsky beautifully handles many touchy subjects that teens must deal with: suicide, pregnancy, depression, drugs, drinking, and romance. I would recommend this book to mature teens and to the parents of any teen.
    Best Recommended Indianapolis Web Design

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs