Saturday, November 30, 2013

Review: Not A Drop to Drink by Mindy McGinnis

Buy The Book
Title: Not A Drop to Drink
Author: Mindy McGinnis
Published: September 24, 2013 by Katherine Tegen Books
Book Description:
Regret was for people with nothing to defend, people who had no water. 

Lynn knows every threat to her pond: drought, a snowless winter, coyotes, and, most importantly, people looking for a drink. She makes sure anyone who comes near the pond leaves thirsty, or doesn't leave at all.

Confident in her own abilities, Lynn has no use for the world beyond the nearby fields and forest. Having a life means dedicating it to survival, and the constant work of gathering wood and water. Having a pond requires the fortitude to protect it, something Mother taught her well during their quiet hours on the rooftop, rifles in hand.

But wisps of smoke on the horizon mean one thing: strangers. The mysterious footprints by the pond, nighttime threats, and gunshots make it all too clear Lynn has exactly what they want, and they won’t stop until they get it….

With evocative, spare language and incredible drama, danger, and romance, debut author Mindy McGinnis depicts one girl’s journey in a barren world not so different than our own.


My thoughts:



“Would you like to die like this?”

“No.”

“Then you would have to kill.”

I’ve been eyeing this book for almost half a year. The plot and reviews from other bloggers had left me salivating. I’m a dystopian junkie! You will be glued to the book just after reading Chapter 1.

The story is about mother and daughter guarding their pond. The world is in collapsed and water is gold. Keeping their pond safe is their priority and killing means survival.
Lynn’s bullets helped keep the pond safe. But is it enough?

The world-building is superb. It can happen in real life, making the story realistic in every angle and situation. Mindy wrote a book that gives huge impact to the readers.
There are many realizations throughout the story. Also, as a reader, I felt the rush of sentiments: Fear, Greed and Power/

What made the book one-of-a-kind in the YA world are the gruesome scenes. It is raw and violent, so this book is not for the faint hearted. I also like the pacing. It was a quick a read but enough to make the readers full and satisfied.

The character-building is amazing. Lynn is still a child but due to the given situation, she matured fast. Though, she depends on her mother and takes in almost everything her mother tells her to. This makes her like a robot which irritates me. Since, I don’t totally agree with her mother’s perspective of the outside world. Yes, it’s survival of the fittest. But considering of killing of her child gave me chills.

”Just know that there’s bad men in the world, and dying fast by you mother is a better way than theirs.”

Even if I have a love and hate relationship with her mother, there are times when she is right. You can feel her love and protectiveness for her daughter. Lynn is used to being alone with her mom. Her transformation into becoming selfless and caring for others made me admire her deeply.

The love-angle is a surprise for me. I was hooked up in their situation and didn’t think that romance can fit the story. I was shocked in a good way. The romance is innocent and a little sugary. It’s believable and no insta-love.

Overall, the book is an amazing read. One of the best I’ve read so far this year. I recommend this book to mature readers. It has swearing and gore scenes, but good enough for readers who wants to read a book with depth.


I give this book, 5 thirsty Whales.

         

5 comments:

  1. wow i saw this on edelweiss, but didn't check this out.... this is a perfect read for a dystopia junkie like me... and you as you mention in the review.

    great review
    Aparajita @Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad you love this one. It's been on my wish list for awhile. Maybe I can get it for Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard fantastic things about Not a Drop to Drink and your review confirms all the positive comments I have heard. I love gruesome violence of the fictional variety, and world-building is always important in dystopians. Your praise of these two aspects is enticing, and I now want to run out and find a copy of the book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woo! I've been wanting to read this one and now this review has sealed it. It sounds spectacular. A romance that is believable and no insta love? And a great plot? Sign me up. I love all the quotes as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I'm surprised that this book would have romance. It doesn't seem possible, especially since the main character has to guard her pond, so she has to stay in one place. Does a hot guy walk up to her or something? ;D

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs