Friday, May 31, 2013

Review: Close My Eyes by Sophie McKenzie

 
Title: Close My Eyes
Author: Sophie McKenzie
Published: May 9th 2013 by Simon & Schuster UK
Book Description:
 The debut adult thriller from a superstar of the YA world.It's been eight years since Geniver Loxley lost her daughter, Beth. Since that day, Gen has been floundering. While her husband Art builds his business reputation and their fortune, she can't let go of Beth.

And then one day, everything changes. A strange woman shows up on Gen's doorstep, saying the very thing she longs to hear: that Beth is alive. That she is out there somewhere, waiting for Gen to find her . . .

It's insane. Unthinkable. But why would someone make up such a story? Ignoring the warnings of her husband and friends, Gen begins to hope - hope that quickly turns into fear and paranoia.

With questions swirling around her head, Gen is determined to uncover the truth. But who can she trust? Why is Art so reluctant to get involved? To save his wife from further hurt? Or something much more sinister? Is Beth even really out there? And, if so, who is responsible for taking her?

What is the truth about Beth Loxley?


My thoughts:


I’ve been itching to read books more on an adult genre; something that involves crime and mystery. Sophie McKenzie is one of my favorite authors. So when she made an adult book called Close My Eyes, without a doubt I would read it. Thanks to Simon Schuster UK for giving me a copy.  Did I mention that the cover is preteeh?

    The story revolves around Gen Loxely, a 39 year old woman who is trying to conceive a child. Gen is frustrated and grieving, after having six IVF attempts and one dead baby. It’s a hard road for the Loxely couple. Then the unexpected happened; a strange woman came into their door step, saying that Beth, her baby is very much alive. Is it really true? Did someone take her? Is her husband part of it?  Could her husband lie to her about Beth? Read this book to find out more.

     The world-building is very realistic. It feels like I’m diving inside Gen’s mind. Everything is dramatic and full of apprehension. It’s like watching a TV series that involves baby snatchers and dishonest husbands. I like how Gen starts to do an investigation and getting answers from unresolved questions regarding her baby, Beth. Plus the setting is in London.

    The characters other than Gen are all mysterious. You get the feeling that they have roles in what happened to Beth. You don’t know who is telling the truth. As for Gen, I find it hard to connect with her, maybe because of her age. Though, I felt some of her emotions. Her sadness and despair towards Beth’s death. But I’m sort of disconnected to the way she thinks. Why do that if she could do this? Then Art, her husband is my least favorite. The book depicts him as the villain here. Almost all his actions are very puzzling. You don’t know if he’s lying or telling the truth. Lastly, Lorcan is my favorite. He is unexpectedly connectable. I thought he would be my least favorite but no. He became Gen’s solace.

    Last few chapters revealed scandalous revelations. Secrets were uncovered. I was shocked and a bit revolted. The book was slow in the beginning; I was bored and wanted some answers. The action and surprise is on the latter part of the book.

     The love angle is not given focus. Though, there were some steamy moments. This book is certainly for mature adults due to fidelity.

     Overall, Close My Eyes is a marvelous read for mystery and crime lovers. This book is for mature readers and not for teens.



       I give this, 3.5 whales. 

 
 




2 comments:

  1. I never made it past those first few chapters, although I tried very hard. For some reason, the narration just didn't sit well with me. I have an arc too so I'll probably go back to it eventually, but it's just too far out of my comfort zone. I'm glad you ended up liking it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really curious about the ending now! I do liked being shocked. It's a shame that it wasn't brilliant to start of with though. I'm not always very patient, but I'll bear in mind that the beginning is a little slow. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs