Saturday, April 06, 2013

Review: Ten by Gretchen McNeil

 

Title:Ten
Author: Gretchen McNeil
Published:September 18th 2012 by Balzer + Bray
Book Description:
SHHHH!
Don't spread the word!
Three-day weekend. Party at White Rock House on Henry Island.
You do NOT want to miss it.


It was supposed to be the weekend of their lives—an exclusive house party on Henry Island. Best friends Meg and Minnie each have their reasons for being there (which involve T.J., the school’s most eligible bachelor) and look forward to three glorious days of boys, booze and fun-filled luxury.

But what they expect is definitely not what they get, and what starts out as fun turns dark and twisted after the discovery of a DVD with a sinister message: Vengeance is mine.

Suddenly people are dying, and with a storm raging, the teens are cut off from the outside world. No electricity, no phones, no internet, and a ferry that isn’t scheduled to return for two days. As the deaths become more violent and the teens turn on each other, can Meg find the killer before more people die? Or is the killer closer to her than she could ever imagine?

My Thoughts:


It sucks that I’ve read this book late. It was like watching a horror movie, where you vividly think that the killer is just right behind you. It’s my cup tea, action-packed and a plot that will leave you curious. It was believable and downright scary. I wish I’ve read this last Halloween.


The story is seen in Meg’s eyes. She was invited to a party in Henry Island, a secluded place, where transportation is through a boat or ferry. There, she met 9 other people who were invited to the party too. Booze. Boys. Crushes. It was fun at first but then, things started to get vicious. A threatening tape, huge storm, lost diary and bodies started to pile up. Who is responsible for the killings? Is it someone or is it an “it”? You have to read this book to find out more.


The world-building is exceptional. Yep, it was realistic. It’s like a watching a movie. I find myself in an odd situation. Where, it’s day time and every light in my room is on. It was bloodcurdling! The scenes were intensely described which is cool. I’m not a sadist, but books like this don’t come around often. There were some but it doesn’t have an “it factor” or an enormous fright impact.


The book only has 294 pages, it’s a short book. So I already consider it a fast read. Well, the pacing is speedy but that didn’t bother me at all. There were no dull moments. Every turn of page will make you more curious. I wanted the book to end, just to know who the killer was. I was even tempted to peek at the last few chapters!


As for the characters, there are many of them. They were introduced one by one in the book but not really giving them the lime light. The story is written through Meg’s eyes, so readers will only see what Meg can see or think. It’s like you’re blind folded, not knowing where the piƱata is, unless you hit the target.


What gave the story some spice is the assortment of personalities. We have jocks, nerds and popular people. It actually made the story much interesting; at the same time it blinds the reader who is really the culprit behind the killings.


Lastly, despite the pandemonium, there’s romance. Yep, just a hint of it! Not so much for those who are looking for steamy scenes.
Overall, Ten is a great book. If you love “This is Not  a Test” by Courtney Summers or “And Then They Were None” by Agatha Christie, then this book is for you.



I give this 5 Killer Whales.




5 comments:

  1. I read this one in 2012 and really enjoyed it! The ending really threw me for a loop and Gretchen definitely did a good job building up the suspense. Great review!
    -Kimberly @ Turning the Pages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this book awhile back and felt that there was quite a bit of unanswered questions. Glad you enjoyed it though :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I think this is the only five star review I have seen, the rest were negative, which really made me sad because this sounds so good. I definitely did a dance after reading your review! Oh, man, I LOVED And Then There Were None! Ah, so excited now! Great review!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really glad you enjoyed this book. I've read some really negative reviews of it and I haven't read it yet because of them. But I really want to read it! I think it sounds fantastic!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to admit, I had a rough time with this one, in part because I liked the original story it was based on so much. But I'm glad you enjoyed it! And I enjoyed reading your perspective for sure.

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs