Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Review: Transparent by Natalie Whipple

 
Title: Transparent
Author: Natalie Whipple
Published: May 21st 2013 by HarperTeen
ARC
Book Description:
Plenty of teenagers feel invisible. Fiona McClean actually is.

An invisible girl is a priceless weapon. Fiona’s own father has been forcing her to do his dirty work for years—everything from spying on people to stealing cars to breaking into bank vaults.

After sixteen years, Fiona’s had enough. She and her mother flee to a small town, and for the first time in her life, Fiona feels like a normal life is within reach. But Fiona’s father isn’t giving up that easily.

Of course, he should know better than anyone: never underestimate an invisible girl.


My thoughts:



I love the cover of this book. All you see is an outline of a girl with colorful lights, though you could see how pretty she truly is. I was very curious to read Transparent after reading the plot. An invisible girl, who is a syndicate-born; no one can truly see her. What she really looks like is a mystery, even for her. The story is engaging!

The story is seen in Fiona’s eyes, the heroine. She’s syndicate-born. Her father is a powerful syndicate and uses his power to get what he wants. He even uses his children to do his dirty work. Fiona is gifted, she’s invisible. Yep, she needs clothes or accessories just to see her outline, unless she gets naked and be totally invisible.
Fiona’s had enough, so she and her mom flee to a small town. They want a normal life, despite the constant thought of being found. Will they be ever free from the powerful crime lord? Who can she trust? You have to read this book to find out.

The world-building is good. It’s fast paced and appealing. The plot is interesting, I was curious all the way to the end. I was wondering, who are the people Fiona can trust and the secret that Seth’s hide. I was hooked!  I also love how fantasy in a contemporary world mixed together. Also, the author has the ability to put the readers behind the curtain. I was desperate for answers.

The author has the talent to weaves likable characters. I was able to connect with them. Fiona is easy to like. Her personality is carefree despite her limitations. She sees her invisibility as a gift not a curse. Though her dad made her withdrawn and isolated from the world, she was able to adapt and see things positively.

What I really like about this book is Fiona’s family-- minus the dad.  Her mother is fearless. Miles is brotherly and protective. Graham is mysterious; there is more about him in the last few chapters. I love how unified and close they are despite their situation.

Lastly, the love angle is just okay. It didn’t make me feel jelly all over. There’s just a hint of it. Seth or Brady? Who will she end up with?

Overall, Transparent is fun book to read. The humor is good. I laughed several times to some scenes.  There’s action too with a hint of romance. They story is unpredictable.  Also, this book is a light read. I recommend this book to Tahereh Mafi’s fans.

I give this book, 4 Radiasure infused Whales. 

  
 

12 comments:

  1. Anonymous9:25 AM

    Hi Dannielle! :)

    I'm really glad that this turned out good! I agree about the cover of the book. It looks intriguing and reflects the synopsis of the book. I also love the summary!

    Great review :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought this was a very interested idea, but I know what you mean about the romance. It was a little luke-warm....

    Kate @ Ex Libris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:49 PM

    I've been seeing some less-than-positive reviews for this one, so I was a little hesitant to try it out, but your review makes it sound so good! The world building and characters both sound really nicely done, and the aspect of family isn't something seen very often in YA books, so that's another plus. The love triangle... hmm. That's something I'm a little anxious about! Otherwise, Transparent sounds like a great read. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This Is A Time Of Digitization, We Offer You Programming(11562)

    With Best PHP Programming It Is Best, It Is Cheapest,
    We Are Introducing Now The New Techniques Of PHP Programming,
    Viruses & Hacker Now Should Be Forget You Site
    For More Details www.bestonlinejob.net

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm happy with the likable characters! That's always important for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. aww, i love when i get jelly all over a romance but it hasn't been happening that often in books. However I also love the cover and the plot and my sister read it and enjoyed it. I am all up for likable characters and a fearless mother, though the dad sounds horrible.

    great review,
    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like your take on this Dannielle! I think it sounds like a quick, fast-paced read, and who doesn't like the topic of invisibility? Because I'm not the *biggest* fan of romance anyway, I think that aspect might actually work in my favour ;) lovely review!

    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Transparent has only recently popped up on my must-read radar and now I can't wait to get my hands on it. It's set in Las Vegas and is a lot of fun? WIN! Thanks for your review:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book sounds really good!! Love your review!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the sound of this Dani! :) I'm glad that you liked it. TO be honest, I didn't even bother reading the synopsis of Transparent on Goodreads. But after reading your review...I think I should give this a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember featuring this on my WoW. The book cover immediately caught my attention (being a cover lover and all) and I thought the plot sounds promising. I'm glad you liked it, now I'm really going to get myself a copy of this ;) Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Danielle!

    Great review as always. You hit on all the major points I was curious about, so thank you for the thorough review. It is kind of weird that I came across your review because I was over on my friend's blog, leaving a comment in response to one of her reviews about a man that can time travel. In my comment I told her that time travel novels used to be so popular but now I have been seeing a trend with the theme of invisibility. I've noticed a lot of books with main characters that are invisible. Have you noticed?

    Anyway, thanks for the awesome review!

    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs