Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Review: Phoenix (Black City #2) by Elizabeth Richards

 
Title: Phoenix (Black City #2)
Author: Elizabeth Richards
Published: June 4th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile
ARC
Book Description:
Weeks after his crucifixion and rebirth as Phoenix, Ash Fisher believes his troubles are far behind him. He and Natalie are engaged and life seems good. But his happiness is short-lived when he receives a threatening visit from Purian Rose, who gives Ash an ultimatum: vote in favor of Rose’s Law permanently relegating Darklings to the wrong side of the wall or Natalie will be killed.

The decision seems obvious to Ash; he must save Natalie. But when Ash learns about The Tenth, a new and deadly concentration camp where the Darklings would be sent, the choice doesn’t seem so simple. Unable to ignore his conscience, Ash votes against Rose’s Law, signing Natalie’s death warrant and putting a troubled nation back into the throes of bloody battle.



My thoughts:


This is one of those books that I really want to read. I love Black City! I was thankful enough that I was given ARC.  I have high hopes for this one. Well after finishing it, I’m happy to say that it delivered well. It is exhilarating and bloodcurdling with a sexy romance you don’t want to miss.  

The story continues where Black City had left. Natalie and Ash are in hiding as the havoc continues. Now Ash, who is also known as the Phoenix is being threatened by Puritan Rose to vote in favor of the Rose’s Law. If Ash disagrees, Natalie’s life will be in peril. How can Ash pick between Natalie against millions of people? Buy a copy to find out more.
                                         
What I love about this book is the world-building. Elizabeth made a world that is authentic, dark and intoxicating. There’s even a map of The United Sentry States so readers will get to visualize Ash and Natalie’s world. If you’re looking for a fast read, then this book is for you. The pacing is good, no dull moments which is plus for me. The scenes unravel itself smoothly; great scenes after the other that will raise your curiosity more and more as the story continues. You will be hooked!

Also, the scene where Ash is about to vote is heart racing. I guessed wrong which means the story is unpredictable. Some parts of the book are brutal and not for the kind hearted.
In addition, if you seek for an adventure, then this book is for you.

As for the character-building, it’s glorious! There’s character maturity which I look in sophomore books. There were many new characters as well which made the book much attention-grabbing. Natalie is now 17 and mature in thinking. Her situation in which her mom is locked up in prison and Polly is in Puritan’s hand made her tougher.  Ash for me has more limelight than Natalie here. He now has a role and responsibility. Every actions and decisions is being monitored by his people and enemies. One mistake can lead into terrible consequences.

Lastly, the love angle is sugary! Ash and Natalie’s relationship was tested here. Though, you could still feel their deep connection. The trials had made the stronger.


Overall, Phoenix delivered well and worth the wait. Readers who like Darkness Before Dawn will enjoy this book. 

I give this, 4.5 Darkling Whales. 




5 comments:

  1. Glad to hear this sequel does not disappoint! I have the first sitting on my shelves, so I think I better get to it soon! Great review :)

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Black City sitting on my shelf and I guess I need to get to reading it, especially after seeing your continued love for the series. I didn't read your review closely so I wouldn't spoil things, but I love seeing your high rating, Dannielle. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:26 PM

    I still need to read Black City, though after seeing some negative reviews, I'm not too sure I will be giving it a go anytime soon. :( It's promising that you enjoyed the sequel, though. I find that sequels tend to be disappointments because they're so hard to write, but I'm glad this wasn't the case here. Elizabeth does sound like a great writer. Wonderful review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:54 PM

    Yay! So happy to hear that this lived up to the first book. I really enjoyed it. So often sequels let me down,and I'm glad to hear that's not the case here. Also I'm relieved to hear that Ash and Natalie's relationship survives their trials. Love the darkling whales, so cute! :-) Awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book takes the story of Black City to another level. Elizabeth Richards did a great job of exploring the characters in more depth. Instead of rushing to a happy ending she follows how people would really feel in certain situations. The characters deal with quite a lot and it is a great journey. If you liked Black City, this follow up will not disappoint!

    Mariz
    Get Best Info for Austin Maid Service Company

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs