Friday, June 07, 2013

Review: The Colossus Rises (Seven Wonders #1) by Peter Lerangis

Title: The Colossus Rises 
Author: Peter Lerangis
Published: February 5, 2013 by HarperCollins
Book Description:
One Boy
Jack McKinley is an ordinary kid with an extraordinary problem. In a few months, he’s going to die.
One Mission
Jack needs to find seven magic loculi that, when combined, have the power to cure him.
One Problem
The loculi are the relics of a lost civilization and haven’t been seen in thousands of years.
Seven Wonders
Because they’re hidden in the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World.


My thoughts:

Now this a new series that has quite a large potential because involving the Seven Wonders is really an exciting and interesting idea.

I first heard about this book when I saw Rick Riordan comment about it and I am quite familiar with Peter Lerangis because of his works on the 39 clues series. So I said to myself, interesting idea, and endorsement from Rick Riordan and I know the author, I gave it a try.

Now after I finished reading it, I am a little bit out of place with my feelings about the book.

The pacing is somewhat horrible. I know the book is just the beginning of the series and we need to establish some details and the world of this story but I feel like it was not done properly. When you needed some more details there were none, when you need some less details, there were far too many. 

Going through the characters, honestly the main protagonist is really boring. His personality is something to be further developed in the succeeding books. His partners in crime on the other hand are good for me.

But enough with the negatives, I think looking for the loculi and what it does is excellent. The "action" is good and reminiscent of Riordan's style. :D

The ending too is perfect, a twist, and definitely you can see where the story is going and continuing.

I just hope the problems will be fixed on the next book which will be released this October.

I give this an average of 3 whales.
            


3 comments:

  1. that is sad i seriously wanted this book

    nice review
    Le' Grande Codex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:57 PM

    Oh no, I hate when the main character isn't very interesting. I've been wanting to check this out, but all the reviews I've read have echoed your thoughts here, that it's fun and there's potential but lots of issues. Maybe I'll give this a go when the sequel is already out so I can read them together if there's improvement. Lovely honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually read MG at all, but I have this one for review too and I'm more than willing to give it a try. I'm sorry to hear about the pacing, but I can be very patient with worldbuilding and set-up. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs