Saturday, March 23, 2013

Review: Paper Towns by John Green

Title: Paper Towns
Author: John Green
Published: October 16th 2008 by Dutton
Book Description:
Quentin Jacobsen has spent a lifetime loving the magnificently adventurous Margo Roth Spiegelman from afar. So when she cracks open a window and climbs back into his life—dressed like a ninja and summoning him for an ingenious campaign of revenge— he follows. After their all-nighter ends, and a new day breaks, Q arrives at school to discover that Margo, always an enigma, has now become a mystery. But Q soon learns that there are clues— and they’re for him. Urged down a disconnected path, the closer he gets, the less Q sees the girl he thought he knew.

My Thoughts:

And the last book I read on John Green Box Set. Among the four this is on second place. And also I think John Green gets better with every book he releases. 
And also this confirms my theory that I have said in my review about An Abundance of Katherines. Nerd Guy gets affected by and Enigmatic Female. (Although he changed his formula with TFIOS)

What I like about this book is how good the female is. Among all the female characters he used in his books, Margo for me has the most character and is the type of character that had many layers in her personality and you see a depth in that character.

Q, I found him a little irritating at times and also very obsessed. So in contrast among all John's male character he is my least favorite. His bestfriends are actually much more cooler and interesting for me.

But yup why did I like the story? I like how "detective"-themed this book is. They are searching for clues all thoughout the book up to the end and its really fun for me when they discover the breadcrumbs left for Q to follow. Also the pacing is the best. I think every part is interesting and important to the story (boring parts are minimal).

And also the most important to me in this book is that I saw a story which shows that people are not 2-dimensional. They are not paper with personalities like Black and White. We can see that there can be a million sides to a person's personality.

I am not a psychologist, but for me I just interpreted the Paper in this book that people have layers of personality, people can be fragile, people can be mysterious, and people sometimes just want to be free and fly to wherever it wants to go. And also sometimes that falseness of a person wherein we just see whatever it wants us to see.

The adventure and events here in this book  is light hearted but at the same time heavy I think. I like the dynamics of the characters.

All in all I give this book 4 whales.


5 comments:

  1. I'm glad to hear that Green creates the female character well. I haven't ready anything by him before! I really need to get a move on, don't I? :)

    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:40 AM

    Layers in characters are what make characters most interesting! It's nice to know that this book is filled with characters like those! You make me want to meet Margo and pick up my second John Green book!

    Nice review, JP :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Although this is not my favorite of Green's books (that would be Alaska) I liked Margo very much, just like you did. She is a fabulous character.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW!! I didn't know really what this book was about but wow. I think as a psychologist I will like it :) :) Beautiful review <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has been on my shelf for awhile and I can't wait to get to it! Thanks for the review :)

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs