Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey


Buy The Book
Title: The 5th Wave
Author: Rick Yancey 
Publication: May 7th 2013 by Putnam Juvenile
Book Description:
After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it’s the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth’s last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie’s only hope for rescuing her brother—or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.


My Thoughts:

I read this book to know why is it creating a buzz and why was it on the top bestseller list. Honestly the first half of the book I was bored. It kept looping back and forth on the story's own timeline and back and forth also with the characters. Sometimes I was confused about the continuity of the story in my head. But the good thing about it is that once it comes together at a certain point the story becomes better. For me it just took time for me to reach the "cant put it down" moment.

Character's personality are ok. There's no large impact left for me when I finished the book so I guess they're average for me? Nothing special nor not boring at the same time. 

The main problem I had with Cassie was that there was a certain point in the story where I said to her, really? after several years of doing that habit and having a tough personality by living alone, you suddenly turned 180 degrees around it? For me it seemed impossible as my own personal experience habits are not that easily turned off.

For Evan Walker, I guess he has the more consistent personality towards the whole book and total relevance to his backstory and such. I can see why he is like that why he acts that way.

The last quarter of the book is what sold me to continue reading this book. I like how he had written off the action stuff and also how he created the total intense and panic situation of the story and also left us hanging on what will come next.

I give this book 3.5 Whales.

         



6 comments:

  1. This book has been getting such extreme reviews, but I loved it. But I can see why it would seem so daunting because of the back and forth switches. It makes for a choppy read, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you didn't give up. At least the ending was ok
    Great review
    Ruty@Reading...Dreaming

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad that after the sluggish start you really enjoyed this book, I did too find the first part really confusing, but the second half did really make up for it! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed this one, but wasn't completely blown away or anything. It was the whole middle portion of Cassie's POV that I found kind of boring. It was a weird choice to put her in that situation and I wasn't a huge fan of the romance. But I loved the whole ending. It was so intense. Glad you enjoyed it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've heard so much praise about how exciting this book is, so it's too bad that you were bored at first. I'm glad to hear it improved, though! It sounds like this may be worth the read, so I may get around to picking it up someday... right after I read the piles of other books I want to get to. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really liked this one, and I didn't want it to end... and I missed sleep because of it! Also, they mention their grandma but call her Nan-Nan, I have one of those! I've never seen it used anywhere else. That was exciting for me, because that's who I am as a person.

    Mariz
    The Maids of Goshen New York

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs