Saturday, September 28, 2013

Review: Fire & Ash (Benny Imura #4) by Jonathan Maberry


Title: Fire & Ash (Benny Imura #4)
Author:  Jonathan Maberry
Published: August 13 2013 by Simon & Schuster
Book Description:

In the gripping conclusion to the action-packed “standard bearer” (Booklist) of zombie series, the threat of death is given new life.

Benny Imura and his friends have found the jet and Sanctuary—but neither is what they expected. Instead of a refuge, Sanctuary is a hospice, and the soldiers who flew the plane seem to be little more than bureaucrats who have given up hope for humanity’s future. With Chong hovering between life and death, clinging to his humanity by a thread, Benny makes a startling discovery: A scientist may have discovered a cure for the zombie plague. Desperate to save Chong, Benny and his friends mount a search and rescue mission. But they’re not the only ones on the hunt. The reapers are after the cure too, and they want to use it turn all the zombies into superfast shock troops—and wipe humanity off the face of the earth.

In this riveting conclusion to the Rot & Ruin series, the battle to end all battles is just beginning.


My thoughts:


The final book of the series and I am sad and happy at the same time. I feel like Jonathan Maberry did a good job at tying all the loose ends in this final installment.

The first time I heard that it was the end I was saying WTF?! I just feel like 4 book series is awkward for me. I expected it to be at least 5? I don't  know maybe it's just my preference. But when I finished this, I feel like it was appropriate to end.

The characters have reached their  maximum potential in terms of the development of their personalities and character. The way Jonathan wrote about their journey both physically and emotionally were spot on. Easy to understand why they reached that point, and why they are doing some of the things they did. Also I feel like this is the book where you can relate to almost any character. The raw emotion of each one of them leaps out of the book while reading it and it's so good. I almost cried but I held myself since I was in a public bus going to work when I was reading it.

Also the constant reference and periodic reminder of what happened in the past books is also helpful. Sometimes I forget stuff and some issues are still open and then I am reminded by it. So that really helped.

Lastly, I just realized how much I enjoy the character's long speeches and also detailed fights. My imaginations were running wildly.

My pet peeve only is that some lines or events are overused and cliché like blacking out at the end of a chapter and also "aged 40 years" line. I don't know maybe it's just me.

But overall superb ending to an amazing book series. 


I give this an easy 5 whales rating :D



3 comments:

  1. I haven't made it past the first book in this series, but I'm so glad to see a five-star review for the final installment! Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:13 PM

    So glad to hear the finale was a good end for all the characters and that you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to read the first one! I'm glad to see the series ended well for you. I'm looking forward to getting started now. Lovely review. :)

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs