Saturday, February 08, 2014

Review: The Eye of Minds by James Dashner


Buy The Book
Title: The Eye of Minds
Author: James Dashner
Publication: October 8th 2013 by Delacorte books

An all-new, edge-of-your seat adventure from James Dashner, the author of the New York Times bestselling Maze Runner series, The Eye of Minds is the first book in The Mortality Doctrine, a series set in a world of hyperadvanced technology, cyberterrorists, and gaming beyond your wildest dreams . . . and your worst nightmares.

Michael is a gamer. And like most gamers, he almost spends more time on the VirtNet than in the actual world. The VirtNet offers total mind and body immersion, and it’s addictive. Thanks to technology, anyone with enough money can experience fantasy worlds, risk their life without the chance of death, or just hang around with Virt-friends. And the more hacking skills you have, the more fun. Why bother following the rules when most of them are dumb, anyway?

But some rules were made for a reason. Some technology is too dangerous to fool with. And recent reports claim that one gamer is going beyond what any gamer has done before: he’s holding players hostage inside the VirtNet. The effects are horrific—the hostages have all been declared brain-dead. Yet the gamer’s motives are a mystery.

The government knows that to catch a hacker, you need a hacker.
And they’ve been watching Michael. They want him on their team.
But the risk is enormous. If he accepts their challenge, Michael will need to go off the VirtNet grid. There are back alleys and corners in the system human eyes have never seen and predators he can’t even fathom—and there’s the possibility that the line between game and reality will be blurred forever.

My Thoughts:

I have a very good experience with James Dasnher's Maze Runner Series so when I heard he wrote a new series, I was excited for it. Bought it up and here are my specific thought about it.

Honestly, until I have reached the plot twist of the book, I didn't like the book to certain degree. I said to myself why are the setting or places used so randomly selected? There's no theme to it. I swear. And also the inconsistency with the personality of the main character. I thought, damn your two companions are better and much more interesting compared to you. Which is not a good thing. I feel like the book is going to be a massive plop but I was wrong. In you face fu wrong.

If you are reading my reviews, I tend to generalize it as I don't want to use spoilers and ruin the fun of those who haven't read it yet. I like to say that my reviews are somewhat of an encouragement to you to read the books I am reading.

So with that I can't say why I changed my mind. All I can say is that the plot twist is so good and it explains all the problems I had with the book. I see why he used that, why he did that and why it was like that.

Also another thing I like about the books is the use of virtual reality. We all know it is the future. And I am excited for it. 

Easily one of the easiest 5 Whales rating because of that ending :D




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:55 AM

    The Eye of Minds is right up my alley!! Ever since I was a kid I loved playing video games and I grew up with it. The virtual world sounds so wicked. I haven't gotten around with The Maze Runner yet but I want to read the series so badly! Thanks for the fantastic review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book looks amazing, thanks so much for this review. I love your blog by the way, going to book mark it now. Underrated Books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great review without giving away any spoilers! I've actually never read any books by Dashner, but I know he is very popular and successful because of his Maze runner series. I've been curious to see what people's reaction were going to be with this new book. So far I've heard good things. I guess I will have to try the Maze Runner series first, whenever I get time!

    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs