Friday, June 13, 2014

Review: The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex #1) by Lindsay Cummings


Buy The Book
Title: The Murder Complex (The Murder Complex #1)
Author: Lindsay Cummings
Publication: June 10th 2014 by Greenwillow Books
Book Description:
An action-packed, blood-soaked, futuristic debut thriller set in a world where the murder rate is higher than the birthrate. For fans of Moira Young’s Dust Lands series, La Femme Nikita, and the movie Hanna.

Meadow Woodson, a fifteen-year-old girl who has been trained by her father to fight, to kill, and to survive in any situation, lives with her family on a houseboat in Florida. The state is controlled by The Murder Complex, an organization that tracks the population with precision.

The plot starts to thicken when Meadow meets Zephyr James, who is—although he doesn’t know it—one of the MC’s programmed assassins. Is their meeting a coincidence? Destiny? Or part of a terrifying strategy? And will Zephyr keep Meadow from discovering the haunting truth about her family?

Action-packed, blood-soaked, and chilling, this is a dark and compelling debut novel by Lindsay Cummings.


My Thoughts:

Count to three. Relax your mind. Now Survive

I’ve been dying to read this book for ages after seeing the summary on Goodreads. Plus the cover is creepy yet it has this allurement that you can’t resist.

The story is written in dual perspectives, Meadow’s and Zephyr’s. Both strong individuals who grew up in world where murder rate is higher than birthrate. One who is trained to survive while the other is to kill. What is The Murder Complex? You have to read this book to find out more.

Okay, the world-building is great. The world Lindsay made is easy to digest. As a reader, I was able to adapt quickly. I also like the puzzling factor. Where you guess and put the pieces together; it made the book more fascinating. The scenes were good and it has the action you need; fitted in this kind of story. 

The character building is okay. The dual perspectives is a plus factor. You can see what each characters are thinking and it gives you a hint of intimacy with them. My favorite character is Zephyr. I like his mysteriousness. Everything is vague about him especially his past. But that vagueness tickled my curiosity. I felt his pain, anger and compassion. Also his mega strength will make the girls faint. I didn’t like Meadow that much. I didn’t feel her emotions and she’s a bit unruly. I had a hard time connecting with her.

As for the love-angle. Yes, it has this butterflies in my stomach factor. I don’t like insta love and I’m happy to say that romance develops slowly yet surely. I expected more spice between the two because of their age and surroundings but there was little. Hopefully book two will change that.

The lasting impression that this book gave me are the action scenes. It was awesome! The revelation on the latter part has hit its target. Why?!! How come?

Overall, I like the book and I can’t wait for the next installment. I recommend this book for action and dystopian lovers.

I give this book, 4 killer whales.

         

4 comments:

  1. i'm happy you enjoyed this one! I personally didn't enjoy it as much as you did because i felt the romance was insta-love but i'm glad you didn't! :)

    - Juhina @ Maji Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an awesome book! I like the idea of the dual-perspective thing.

    ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you liked this. I was so close to not reading this because I read so many lukewarm reviews about it. But thanks to you, I'll be giving this book another chance! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I managed to get my hands on the book and read it too! My review is here

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs