Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Fragments (Partials Sequence #2) by Dan Wells

Fragments (Partials, #2)

Title: Fragments (Partials Sequence #2)
Author: Dan Wells
Published: February 26th 2013 by Balzer + Bray
ARC
Book Description:

Kira Walker has found the cure for RM, but the battle for the survival of humans and Partials is just beginning. Kira has left East Meadow in a desperate search for clues to who she is. That the Partials themselves hold the cure for RM in their blood cannot be a coincidence--it must be part of a larger plan, a plan that involves Kira, a plan that could save both races. Her companions are Afa Demoux, an unhinged drifter and former employee of ParaGen, and Samm and Heron, the Partials who betrayed her and saved her life, the only ones who know her secret. But can she trust them?

Meanwhile, back on Long Island, what's left of humanity is gearing up for war with the Partials, and Marcus knows his only hope is to delay them until Kira returns. But Kira's journey will take her deep into the overgrown wasteland of postapocalyptic America, and Kira and Marcus both will discover that their greatest enemy may be one they didn't even know existed.

The second installment in the pulse-pounding Partials saga is the story of the eleventh hour of humanity's time on Earth, a journey deep into places unknown to discover the means--and even more important, a reason--for our survival.


My thoughts:

Partials was a very engaging story and with that cliffhanger ending, I just couldn’t wait to get my hands on the second book. I’ve had experiences with novel series where the first book was better than the second, but Fragments is one of those few “second books” whose greatness is at the same level as the first one, but I have to say that this is better than the first.
So here are my pros and cons

Pros:
Awesome protagonist. Kira is a really great heroine and it was fun taking on the journey with her and the other characters as well. Unlike other novels I’ve read, Fragments doesn’t fully focus on Kira but it also shares the spotlight to other relevant characters.
More action! Unlike the first book, this one has more action scenes in it, although there were still a lot of parts that dragged.
Awesome world-building. I was easily sucked into Kira’s world, as if I’m one of the characters as well. It wasn’t hard to imagine the world Kira lives in, and you can definitely feel the struggle and pain of the characters, especially Kira as she tries to uncover the truth.
And lastly, More Kira and Samm! I’m a really big fan of them, but I can’t help but love Marcus in this book. We get to explore more about him, his personality and his feelings which makes him easier to relate to.

Cons:
It was long. Yes, it was a long book indeed, but as I read, it felt longer than I imagine. There were a lot of parts that dragged and kind of boring and I had to put down the book a few times before reading it again. But my curiosity was still overwhelming that I really have to keep reading until the end.
The technical terms. There were a lot of medical terms in this book (the same goes for the first one). I did enjoyed reading them though, but if my profession isn’t in a medical field, I’ll most likely skip on all those parts because I have no idea what they’re talking about. Maybe Wells can use terms that are much easier to understand?

Overall, Fragments is a great read and I definitely can’t wait for the next book!

I give this book 4 Partial Whales

                                                               

6 comments:

  1. Kira is awesome, and I'm glad we got more of her and Samm! I agree about Marcus, his character didn't really make an impression on me in the first book, but he certainly did in this one. Great review. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Partials still sitting on my shelf and have not bought Fragments yet. I need to jump on the band wagon because this series sounds so interesting. Thanks for the great review. Sometimes I forget about the books sitting on my shelf so thanks for the reminder!!!

    It's been awhile since I stopped by, so saying hello as well!

    Best Wishes,

    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Partials and found it kind of slow, but I am really looking forward to reading this book! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still have yet to read Partials but I hear both of the books in this series are amazing. Too bad it seemed like it dragged on a bit, especially with long it was. Thanks for sharing!

    Alise @ Readers In Wonderland

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can lose interest very quickly when books are too long, but it sounds like this one is very engaging for the most part. I didn't get through the first one (not because I didn't like it, but because I got distracted by another book and forgot to come back to it!) but it's good to know that the sequel is promising. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have to read Partials, but Fragments sounds great! It seems a bit long, but I think I'll definitely be reading it soon. Amazing review :)

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs