Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Review: The Other Life (The Other Life #1) by Susanne Winnacker

Title: The Other Life (The Other Life #1)
Author: Susanne Winnacker
Published: February 1st 2012 by Usborne
Book Description:

3 years, 1 month, 1 week and 6 days since I’d seen daylight. One-fifth of my life. 98,409,602 seconds since the heavy, steel door had fallen shut and sealed us off from the world

Sherry has lived with her family in a sealed bunker since things went wrong up above. But when they run out of food, Sherry and her dad must venture outside. There they find a world of devastation, desolation...and the Weepers: savage, mutant killers.

When Sherry's dad is snatched, she joins forces with gorgeous but troubled Joshua - an Avenger, determined to destroy the Weepers.

But can Sherry keep her family and Joshua safe, when his desire for vengeance threatens them all?


My Thoughts:

They’re called the Weepers, and you don’t weep for them.
                You must kill them, or they will kill you...

                When a dangerous type of rabies start spreading out, everyone was forced to hide in bunkers for their own safety. Now, 3 years have passed, and no one has ever heard anything from the government. Sherry’s family had been staying in their bunkers for that same number of years, and what they feared most happened. They’re running out of food. With six persons to feed, where are they going to find the food that they needed? Simple answer, they must get out of their bunker, and search for it outside. If, they can find one that is. But outside, they’re not safe as they used to be, because there the weepers crawl, and they’re out to prey on them.

                I really enjoyed reading this book. It’s action-packed and fast-paced. Ever since Sherry and her dad went out of their bunkers, my heart continued hammering in my chest and I actually felt scared for them, knowing that “something” lurks around, just waiting for the right time to strike.
Sherry’s world was a mess, especially after the rabies broke out, plus the bombing. Their city was in ruins, and it wasn’t as beautiful as it used to be. It feels as though I was on the same adventure as Sherry, and sometimes I find myself looking behind me, to make sure that “nothing” is in there, and then I recall that I was only reading a book. I find it very exciting when I read books about zombies/monsters. I loved those kinds of things especially that I’m a big fan of Resident Evil and Silent Hill.
But what I didn’t liked here was the overused “virus” plot wherein the so-called virus spreads out, turning everyone into flesh-eating monsters. Another one is Sherry’s constant predicament whenever she’s facing a weeper wherein she constantly thinks whether she could kill a weeper, knowing that they’re once humans. If I were her, I won’t even think twice in killing them, because in their current state, survival of the fittest is of utmost importance. If you don’t kill them, they’ll kill you. It’s as simple as that. But no, she still stops to think. To kill or not to kill? As I kept on reading, I always say “just kill it already!” In my own opinion, it isn’t really hard to decide, knowing that what they’re facing is already a monster, not a human. I’ll probably let it go if her dilemma is the same as Joshua’s wherein the weeper used to be his sister. It’s fairly normal that you don’t want to kill it, knowing that she’s your sister.
The romance in the story is too fast for me. Knowing that this is a dystopian novel, and there are monsters out there, romance doesn’t easily come, especially when one’s survival is at risk. But despite all that, I still think their relationship is sweet. Although some of the characters weren’t explored much, each was still interesting. I’ve got my eye on the mysterious Tyler, and I’m hoping more about him will be revealed in the next book. I also enjoyed reading the parts wherein after every chapter we were given glimpses of Sherry’s life before the rabies broke out. It’s nice that were given a little bit of normalcy in the book.
Overall, The Other Life was a fun and light read. I loved the action parts where it made my heart race, and the parts where it made my chest tighten. The book ended in a cliffhanger, only making me crave more for the next book.

I give this book four whales.






1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear that this was good! I hadn't heard many reviews for it, but I really wanted to read it. Thanks for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs