Sunday, April 22, 2012

Review: A Stiff Kiss by Avery Olive

Title: A Stiff Kiss
Author: Avery Olive
Published: February 12th 2012 by Crescent Moon Press
Book Description:


Death always hits Xylia Morana too close to home, but she likes it that way. She hangs out with the terminally ill, attends random funerals, and every so often, when the weather is right, she sleeps in open graves.

But after Landon Phoenix, the high school hottie, dies in Xylia's arms, she sneaks into the morgue to say goodbye. How could she know stealing a kiss from his corpse would wake him up?

With Landon returned to the living and suddenly interested in Xylia, life has new meaning. But what Xylia doesn't realize is that by kissing Landon back to life, she's thrown Life and Death off balance. The underworld demands a body, and it might just have to be Xylia's this time.



                                              Thanks to Avery Olive!                                                   
One winner will win "A Stiff Kiss" picture card, key chain and a bookmark
OPENS INTERNATIONALLY 
Giveaway here


My Thoughts:

Who knew kissing a corpse would change everything?

I was fortunate enough to be given a copy directly from the author. I admit! I was hesitant to read it at first. The blurb is so unique; a protagonist stole a kiss from a corpse? Well, I read the first few chapters and was impressed. It was a fun and light read.
           
             The story is about Xylia, a broken girl who struggles to cope to her mother’s death. Landon, the school’s star athlete and her crush fell during a game. He was dead! Then Xylia went to the morgue to say her last goodbye. How can a kiss bring back the dead? Those voices, where did it come from? You have to pick this book to find out.

             The world building was okay. It was realistic. The scenes and story line was written flawlessly. For me, this book is a bit cotemporary. It started slow at first. Then it builds halfway. I was expecting full action but it was more of a mystery, paranormal with full romance. It was alright with me. Just that, I’ am more of an action type of girl. Though, I hope there was more action to give this book some spice.

 As for the writing style, it was good. I like how it was written in different POVs. You get to see what each character is thinking. I wasn’t confused in reading this book. I get what the author is telling the readers. Again, it was written smoothly.  I was impressed on how the author keeps us behind the curtains. I was anxious to know what will happen next. It was a page turner. My curiosity got me going. I wanted some answers, which I got at the end part.

             Then the characters, they were relatable. I love how believable, Xylia is. I felt her emotions towards her mother’s death. She thinks deeply and sees things in a different way. She is strong yet vulnerable. Landon was okay for me, he was less realistic than Xylia. This is because of the love angle. It was so fast! Like “BAM” I love you already. Their relationship blossoms so fast, it was not believable.

 Over all, this book is a good read. I recommend this book to mystery and paranormal lovers. I look forward to see what will happen next.

I give this book 3.5 Whales









1 comment:

  1. Hey! Thank you for this post! This book seems creepy, but in a good way! lol. Your blog is Aaaadorable! I found you through the master list on the making connections group on goodreads and am now following you! Hope you will follow back/check out my blog if you like it!
    -Amanda
    http://shmandarinorange.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs