Monday, May 28, 2012

REVIEW: THE SERPENT`S SHADOW BY RICK RIORDAN


Title: The Serpent's Shadow
Author: Rick Riordan
Published: May 1, 2012 by Hyperion Books for Children
Book Description:
He's b-a-a-ack! Despite their best efforts, Carter and Sade Kane can’t seem to keep Apophis, the chaos snake, down. Now Apophis is threatening to plunge the world into eternal darkness, and the Kanes are faced with the impossible task of having to destroy him once and for all. Unfortunately, the magicians of the House of Life are on the brink of civil war, the gods are divided, and the young initiates of Brooklyn House stand almost alone against the forces of chaos.


To find the answer they need, the Kanes must rely on the murderous ghost of a powerful magician who might be able to lead them to the serpent’s shadow... or might lead them to their deaths in the depths of the underworld..



My Thoughts:

Ever since the title was announced... and the cover art was shown I was really excited about this last book on the Kane Chronicles. As a big Rick Riordan fan it is sad to see this end (I was really sad when Percy Jackson series ended). But don`t lose light folks, I have an exiting deduction at the end of this review.

So onwards with the review.

The story started with a bit of a timeskip from Throne of Fire. Six months have passed and everyone is preparing for the rise of Apophis the master of Chaos. Sadie and Carter have been devising plans together with their friends and allies in the House of Brooklyn. For this last book I have problems with how Rick created the atmosphere of the story. Remember when we were in The Last Olympian story we can tell that everything is dark and there are problems everywhere. There was that sense of disaster is just around the corner. For me while reading Serpent`s Shadow I did not feel that. There was no sense of urgency even though we have a clear set of deadline before everything is thrown into chaos. And also another negative thing I can say is that their adventure (although there were some) was not so epic and exciting compared to what we get in Throne of Fire and Red Pyramid. So for me, I can say that my favorite of the 3 is Throne of Fire.

The adventures of Sadie and Carter was lackluster. I think it contributed to the part that they were separated. Although I know the reason of their separation is important to the story, I just can`t seem to shake the fact that I was at the edge of my seat when they were finally reunited.

Those 2 were my major problems about the book.

But there were many great moments as well. Specially the method on how they defeated Apophis. It was just genius and very unique for me. I don`t know how close the techinalities in this book to the Egyptian methology but I really like the `Shadow` Method. Kudos to that part Rick :D

And then as I have said earlier, it is kickass when the siblings are together. As soon as they were together it was really exciting to turn the pages because they really have a good teamwork and they can create a great scene when they are fighting the enemies. 

And to see so many people using the The Path of the gods is just good for the imagination. Just imagine a big avatar of that god fighting several magicians at once. amazing.

And the last fight with Apophis is the best part of the book. Rick ended it with just the right amount of action and with great elaboration and descriptions of the event. I can remember how my brain imagined the fight and it was amazing.

With those thoughts I can give this book 4 whales.

Now now, I know we are all sad to see Kane Chronicles End, but here is the deduction I said earlier. I know there were already clues that the world of Kane`s and Percy are existing in the same world or plane. Our first hint was in the Red Pyramid when it was mentioned that there are something in the otherside of the Brooklyn River (am I right I dont know the exact words or river or place used as a reference) but `the other side`mentioned is probably Percy`s world.
And then the warning of Sadie and Carter`s mom when she said

`` ...I see murky vision  of other gods and rival magic.``
``...but Egypt has  always faced challenges from outside- magicians elsewhere, even gods from elsewhere...``

With these clues and hints I think it is safe to say that in the near future, after the Heroes of Olympus ends there will be a joint book or crossover between this 2 story.

Till next time :D


I give this book 4 whales

    

1 comment:

  1. It has a lot of action and is as adventurous and action filled as the first two books. Overall, it's a great book.

    Cath Brookes (Skagway Alaska)

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs