Monday, July 09, 2012

Review: For Darkness Shows the Stars

Title: For Darkness Shows the Stars
Author: Diana Peterfreund
Published: June 12st 2012 by Blazer + Bray
Book Description:
It's been several generations since a genetic experiment gone wrong caused the Reduction, decimating humanity and giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family's estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot's estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth--an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.

But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret--one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she's faced with a choice: cling to what she's been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she's ever loved, even if she's lost him forever.

Inspired by Jane Austen's "Persuasion", "For Darkness Shows the Stars" is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.


My Thoughts:


         I was waiting for this book to come out on Amazon. I was salivating to read it as early as possible. I love Jane Austen’s books. When I heard that this book was inspired by Persuasion, I had to get it.
The story is about a world ruled by the Luddites, who opposed technology (genetic experimentation). The world is bended back to its old ways after the war. The people who are involved/experimented with genetics are now mentally disabled. Now, they are called the “Reduced”, people who now work under the Luddites.  Then a new line is working its way up, the post. A person, who are born from a reduced parent but exhibits no mental disability, they are skilled inventers and mechanists that can possibly weave back the lost technology from the old world. Can technology be easily be embraced again by the Luddites? You have to read this amazing book to find out.

The world building is outstanding. The world, Diana had made is unique and intriguing. I was captured and absorbed in. Despite the fact that this book was inspired by Persuasion, I find this book unique. There is nothing like it.  There are some terms used in the book that is new to me (eg. Luddites) The world is complex but easy to comprehend.  That is what I like about this book; it was not perplexing. I also like the author’s ability to describe the scenes. I didn’t have a hard time picturing it in my head.  It was flawlessly written, it was not confusing to me.  

The characters are well developed. They had me captured. They are unforgettable and imprinted in my mind. Elliot is an impressive character. I love everything about her. She is dedicated to her responsibilities. I admire her kindness and generosity. As for Kai, it is hard to like him at first. He is a confusing young man. How can he easily judge Elliot? Though, his drive to have his freedom awed me.  The story also showed their letters from the past. I find it cute! You will get to see how their friendship blossoms and how it’s like growing up from a world shattered by war and division.

This book made my cry several times. I felt Elliot’s emotions deeply towards Kai and how heavy her responsibilities are. I find myself hating Kai, half of the book. His coldness towards Elliot actually gave spice to the story which in return made my blood boil in hatred. He redeems himself nearly at the ending. I thought Elliot had lost him. After all this time!!

As for the love angle, it is heartwarming. Omigosh! This book had shattered my heart into tiny pieces. It was a rollercoaster ride for Elliot. All this time, their quarrels had been a “Lover’s quarrel”.  
Overall, this book is an excellent read. I wouldn’t mind reading it again and again. I recommend this book to dystopian and classic retelling lovers. This book is the one to read.


I give this book 4.5 happy swimming whales


4 comments:

  1. I've got this book on my radar. After reading your review, I know I need to read it. I love Jane Austin and Persuasion and I'm always interested in spin off's. Thanks for your review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aimee,

      Read this awesome book! One of my faves this year. Thanks for the stopping by our blog :D

      -Dannielle/ TheUnseelieNerd

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Hi Kate,

      Read this quick :D You'll love this... Thanks for stopping by.

      -Dannielle

      Delete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs