Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Review ARC: The Waiting Sky by Lara Zielin


Title: The Waiting Sky
Author: Lara Zielin
Published: August 7th 2012 by Putnam Juvenile
Paperback ARC provided by Putnam Juvenile

Book Description:

One summer chasing tornadoes could finally change Jane's life for the better

Seventeen-year-old Jane McAllister can't quite admit her mother's alcoholism is spiraling dangerously out of control until she drives drunk, nearly killing them and Jane's best friend.

Jane has only one place to turn: her older brother Ethan, who left the problems at home years ago for college. A summer with him and his tornado-chasing buddies may just provide the time and space Jane needs to figure out her life and whether it still includes her mother. But she struggles with her anger at Ethan for leaving home and feels guilty--is she also abandoning her mom just when she needs Jane most? The carefree trip turned journey of self-discovery quickly becomes more than Jane bargained for, especially when the devilishly handsome Max steps into the picture.


My Thoughts:

I’m not much of a contemporary novel fan (unless it involves murder/mystery) but this novel by Ms. Zielin managed to hook me into the world of Jane McAllister.

Jane has a big problem. Her mother is an alcoholic, and they’re drowning with debts that she could hardly pay. Yes, I mean her, not them since Jane is doing most of the work while her mother spends the little money they have for her “alcoholic needs”. This is when Jane finally decided to spend her summer with her older brother to chase tornadoes to get away from everything, even just for a while. This is when she is pushed into an adventure that might change or destroy her life like a tornado aftermath.

I actually enjoyed this book. At first I was a bit skeptical in reading this, but I’m really glad that I did. Ms. Zielin’s writing flows perfectly that it’s not boring at all. I had fun reading about Jane, how she handles her messed up life and how she assumed the role of an adult just so she could take care of her drunken mother and make hard decisions that can either make or break her life. I have to admit that I really dislike her mother because of how she’s making things harder for Jane who’s doing her best for the both of them. There were times where I wanted to shake some sense into Jane because she’s just too nice. Well, I really can’t blame her for loving her mother so much.

This book is full of dramatic moments and there were parts that I also feel hurt. Romance is only a secondary element and it worked well for me.

Overall, The Waiting Sky is a light read where it showed the reality that not everyone has a perfect life and there are ups and downs in every person’s story.


I give this book 4 happy whales.





No comments:

Post a Comment

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs