Wednesday, August 08, 2012

Review: Glitch (Glitch #1) by Heather Anastasiu


Title: Glitch (Glitch #1)
Author: Heather Anastasiu
Published: August 7th 2012 by St. Martin's Press
ARC taken from Netgalley
Book Description:

In the Community, there is no more pain or war. Implanted computer chips have wiped humanity clean of destructive emotions, and thoughts are replaced by a feed from the Link network.

When Zoe starts to malfunction (or “glitch”), she suddenly begins having her own thoughts, feelings, and identity. Any anomalies must be immediately reported and repaired, but Zoe has a secret so dark it will mean certain deactivation if she is caught: her glitches have given her uncontrollable telekinetic powers.

As Zoe struggles to control her abilities and stay hidden, she meets other glitchers including Max, who can disguise his appearance, and Adrien, who has visions of the future. Both boys introduce Zoe to feelings that are entirely new. Together, this growing band of glitchers must find a way to free themselves from the controlling hands of the Community before they’re caught and deactivated, or worse.

In this action-packed debut, Glitch begins an exciting new young adult trilogy.



My Thoughts:

It’s been a long time since I’ve read another dystopian novel, although I did have a lot of books in that genre in my to-read list. Glitch is one of those dystopian novels that I’ve been anticipating to read and now that I’ve read it, here’s what I think.

There exists a futuristic world where everything is run by machines. People are controlled by chips that deprived them of emotions – except for pain which is vital for their survival. Everything is always in order. Order first, order always. That’s how things run in the world of Glitch.

The story starts with our heroine, Zoel already Glitching, which is a plus for me because if she still haven’t, then this book will probably bore me as soon as I start reading. Everytime she glitches, she experiences things and emotions she has never felt before. It’s as if her monochrome world was suddenly painted with colors. She craved to discover more, but doing so will only put her in bigger trouble that may be the cause of her deactivation. When she was on the verge of deactivation, a boy with aquamarine eyes saved her, and from there on she discovers that everything she has ever known was all a lie.

The world building was good and I can really imagine everything as if I was there myself. Zoe was a great heroine. I can totally understand how she reacts with all the new things she’s experiencing. The love triangle between Zoe, Adrien and Max for me was meh. I’ve already mentioned in most of my reviews that I’m growing tired of the insta-love aspects of romance. But in the end, Adrien and Zoe were still able to truly understand each other as their relationship progress, so I guess it’s fine with me.

Overall, Glitch was a good and enjoyable read. I look forward to see how Zoe grows in the next book and the adventure that she and her friends will go through. I recommend this to dystopian fans :D

I give this book 3.5 baby whales.




3 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:45 PM

    This book sounds very enthralling from the past reviews I have read. Although, sometimes I read mixed reviews and change my perspective on the book, but I think regardless of what the other reviews say I might read this book. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. There are mixed reviews regarding this book, but it's better that you judge it yourself. Who knows, you might even love it. :D
      Thank you!
      -- ICE

      Delete
  2. Hello, hello again!

    I've missed coming onto this blog! Book Whales, you rawk! Glitch has been on one of my wish lists on amazon.com, under my 4 for 3 paperback section lol. Just like Roxy said above, I've been going back and forth about if I want to give this book a try. I really did, but then some mixed reviews had me doubtful. I hate when that happens! Thanks for the great review. You have cleared a few things up for me. I think I need to buy it when I find a few more paperbacks that fall into the 4 for 3 promotion :)

    Mia @ The Muses Circle

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs