Saturday, September 08, 2012

REVIEW: THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY AND THE PERILOUS JOURNEY BY TRENTON LEE STEWART

Title: The Mysterious Bendict Society and the Perilous Journey
Author: Trenton Lee Stewart
Published:  May 1 2008 by Little Brown Books for Young Readers
Book Description:
The fabulous foursome readers embraced as The Mysterious Benedict Society is back with a new mission, significantly closer to home. After reuniting for a celebratory scavenger hunt, Reynie, Kate, Sticky, and Constance are forced to go on an unexpected search--a search to find Mr. Benedict. It seems that while he was preparing the kids' adventure, he stepped right into a trap orchestrated by his evil twin Mr. Curtain. 

With only one week to find a captured Mr. Benedict, the gifted foursome faces their greatest challenge of all--a challenge that will reinforce the reasons they were brought together in the first place and will require them to fight for the very namesake that united them.



MY THOUGHTS:


We arrive for the second part of the series. In this book they finally embark on a journey. This time they are not only situated within the confines of their town but travels across the sea, countries and islands.
My impression about the book is that the style somewhat change. The quirkiness that I really liked in the first book is a little bit lost in this part. Personality of the characters changed so much too. Only a 1 year timeskip happened and majority of them changed.

As I said in my review on the previous book there were some games and puzzles which are very interesting too read but in this, there's not much. It moved from the puzzles-game solving to an adventure searching for clues. It reminds me a lot of what they are doing with the 39 clues series by Scholastic.

My main problem is also their personality. Suddenly one of them is a jealous character. Another one of them secretly becomes very angry and impatient. Another becomes super tamed. I think only one of them stayed the same with just minor changes here and there. For me its not realistic to change their characters drastically.

Although I have problems with them, I like their journey this time. Everyone's strength plays a role in figuring out their next move. Nobody is left behind when it comes to contribution part.

All in all it is still an enjoyable read. keeps you entertained. Not much of plot twist since we all still know who's the enemy and who's not.

I give this book 3 whales.



  

3 comments:

  1. Hmm.... this sounds interesting, although I don't like suddenly changing characters. If I didn't read the first book, do you think I'd like it?

    And thanks for commenting on my blog! I haven't thought of using a review system (I don't know if I can give consistent ratings), but I'll definitely consider it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eustacia,

      Thanks for stopping by. Love your reviews. And ratings will help other readers to know if the book is good or not :D

      -Dannielle

      Delete
    2. oh you should read the first book.you will not understand some part of book 2 if you dont read book 1.
      -Book Hoarder

      Delete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs