Saturday, September 01, 2012

Review: Stormdancer (The Lotus War #1) by Jay Kristoff

Title: Stormdancer (The Lotus War #1)
Author: Jay Kristoff
Published: September 1st 2012 by Tor UK
Book was taken from Netgalley
Book Description:
Griffins are supposed to be extinct. So when Yukiko and her warrior father Masaru are sent to capture one for the Shogun, they fear that their lives are over. Everyone knows what happens to those who fail him, no matter how hopeless the task.

But the mission proves far less impossible, and far more deadly, than anyone expects – and soon Yukiko finds herself stranded: a young woman alone in her country's last wilderness, with only a furious, crippled griffin for company. But trapped together in the forest, Yukiko and Buruu soon discover a friendship that neither of them expected.

Meanwhile, the country around them verges on the brink of collapse. A toxic fuel is slowly choking the land; the omnipotent, machine-powered Lotus Guild is publicly burning those they deem Impure; and the Shogun cares about nothing but his own dominion. Yukiko has always been uneasy in the shadow of power, when she learns the awful truth of what the Shogun has done, both to her country and to her own family she's determined to do something about it.

Returning to the city, Yukiko and Buruu plan to make the Shogun pay for his crimes – but what can one girl and a flightless griffin do against the might of an empire?




My Thoughts:

The moment I’ve read the summary, I was salivating to read it. I know from the start that I need this book quick. Holy Izanagi’s balls! Stormdancer is one of those books that leave a huge impact. The characters and world building is simply superb!

Yukiko’s country is in the brink of collapse. Chi fumes that came from a blood lotus enslaved the people, making them addicted to it. Japan is a country in peril ruled by a cruel Shogan who wants a griffin, a mythical beast. Voyagers/travelers/adventures with their airships came to find the beast. Can they hunt down that was thought to be extinct? You have to pick up this book to find out.

The world building wowed me! I ‘am utterly speechless. The last book that I’ve read with this good world building was Harry Potter. Again, this book blew me away. I feel like I was reading a manga instead of from a book. The scenes and characters were described in a very rich way.  It was very detailed, not in a sense of being too much. It was colorful, vibrant and intoxicating.  I don’t want the book to end. It was that good. The actions scenes were cinematic! It was bloody and brutal. I know, it sounds scary. But Jay Kristoff is a master of making words into a masterpiece. As a reader, I was amazed.  

Stormdancer has loads of characters and they’re well developed. At first, I find it hard to know them all since they’re that many. But Jay Kristoff made it sure that each of them will be known and gets the limelight. All of them have a special place in my heart. I got attached to Yukiko, the main character. I connected to her instantly. I love her courage and she’s kick-ass. Kin, Kasumi, Akihito, Buruu, Michii….. The list can go on forever. Those characters will be engraved in my mind forever. They are unforgettable. Again you have to pick up this book to find out more about them.

As for the love angle, I thought that there will be something between Yukiko and Green-eyed Kin. Well, there was none. I hope the second book will change that.

Lastly, the book made me want to go to Japan wearing a badass kimono and a chainsaw katana in hand.

Overall, this book is amazing! The ending is heart breaking. Yes, it was not a happy ending. But believe me this book deserves a standing ovation. I recommend this book to dystopian, anime, steampunk and mythology lovers. Book Two PLEASE!

I give this book 4.5 Oni crushing whales.

2 comments:

  1. I love Jay! I can't wait to read this book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kate,
      Thanks for stopping by :D Love this book.

      -Dannielle

      Delete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs