Sunday, October 21, 2012

ARC Review: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1) by Julie Kagawa

Title: The Lost Prince (The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten #1)
Author: Julie Kagawa
Published:  October 23th by Harlequin Teen
Book taken at Netgalley  
Book Description:
Don’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.

That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.

Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.

This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.


MY THOUGHTS:


I’m a huge fan of Julie Kagawa’s Iron Fey Series. It’s just natural that I’ll go gaga over this new book. I mean it’s Ethan Chase! Yes, I’m a fangirl!

The story is seen on Ethan’s eyes. He hates the fey world. I mean who could blame him? He was kidnapped and used as bait; his experiences in the fey world in very unpleasant. Ethan is no ordinary human; he has the sight. He sees the fey, and he abides to these rules:”Don’t look at them. Never let them know you can see them.” He avoids them at all cost. Then the story took a great turn when he was attacked by fey creatures. Not only he was attacked but his phouka friend went missing. Ethan has no choice but to go back to faery land. He must find his sister, Queen of the Iron Realm, Meghan Chase. The last time he saw her was when Prince Ash took her to Tir Na Nog. Their relationship has drifted apart. Will Ethan be able to find his missing friend? Can Meghan and Ethan’s relationship be mended? You have to read this book to find out.

As always, the world building is phenomenal! Never Never is magical, colorful, haunting and unpredictable. You never know what fey creatures you would encounter inside. My favorite part is visiting the Iron Realm. Yes, it’s because I’m so curious to see/know how Meghan and Ash are. Are they still happy? Is Meghan doing her job well as a Queen? Well, those questions were answered in the book. The thing about spinoffs is seeing the old characters. I was waiting for Puck to pop up any moment. And I almost peed due to excitement. He’s my favorite character, seeing him with his mischievous grin and flamboyant personality made me jump for joy.  What gave spice to the story is The Forgotten. Actually, they are the highlight of the story. I was amazed how Julie was able to make this book shine on its own. Before it was the Iron Fey, now it’s The Forgotten. Julie never fails to impress me. She’s truly such a great story teller. After going back to Never Never, I don’t want to leave again.

Again, the character building is impressive. They are well developed, mature and connectable. Julie made sure that the readers will get to know them all.  As for the main character, Ethan was hard to like at first. I admit, he is sort of a bastard in the early chapters. He made this barrier, where no one can penetrate. He is cold and stubborn. There’s this bad boy and mysterious thing going on, which makes any girl totally crazy over him. I understand why he’s doing that mid chapter. Keirran! Oh boy, you surprised me. I almost fell out of my chair after knowing who you really are. I can’t get enough of you.  There are more characters from the book that you would like. I shall leave them to you to find out. Just buy this book quick!

As for the love angle, it fell short for me. There was not enough spark between Ethan and Kenzie. I could not even understand the girl. I didn’t connect/jive with her. There was no knee melting experience for me. I wish book two will change that.

Over all, this book is impressive. It’s different and memorable. I was truly absorbed inside. Again, Julie Kagawa never fails to impress me. I can’t wait to see what happens next. There are loads of new characters and I can’t wait to get to know them more.

I give this book 4 whales.

9 comments:

  1. Great review! Can't wait to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,

      Thanks for visiting our blog :D Love your posts.

      -Dannielle

      Delete
  2. I loved this book too! Ethan was an awesome and I loved seeing all of the cameos from characters from the Iron Fey series. I nearly fell out of my chair when a couple of them popped up :D

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesse,
      I was eagerly waiting for Puck. I agree with you. It was nice to see the old characters. After going back to Never Never, I don't want to leave. I need more of Keirran!! :D

      -Dannielle

      Delete
  3. Great review!!!

    Cierra @ Blogovation Design
    www.blogovationdesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cierra,

      I saw your cool blog. I was totally salivating... I love the cute themes. You are so talented. Sadly, We don't have a budget yet. :D

      -Dannielle

      Delete
  4. Yeah, I didn't get Ethan/Kenzie either. Why continue going after a guy who is a jerk to you and tells you to stay away from her? Why does that happen in YA so much nowadays?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natasha,
      Glad were on the same side. I mean, I don't get them both. It was way different from Ash and Meghan's romance. Agree, there's this bad boy/good girl going on around the YA world. :D

      -Dannielle

      Delete
  5. Great review! :) I didn't see the sparkle between Ethan and Kenzie either. And god, she was so annoying till the middle of the book. Ugh. I dunno about the story - it seemed too predictable to me. I mean, the Forgotten told Ethan from the beginning who they were and not to ask questions and he went out there and did just that. And noone knew who they are and bla bla bla - whatever - if Ethan would have listened - well, the problem would have been solved much earlier. :P

    LOVED Keirran as well!! <3 <3

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs