Sunday, January 15, 2012

Review: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi

Title: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1)
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Published: November 15th 2011 by Harper/HarperCollins

Book Description:


Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as
The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.


My Thoughts:


She hasn’t touched anyone for 264 days
            Until she saw him…

            Wow. Just… wow! For a debut novel, Mafi did such an excellent job with Shatter me. Now I really can’t wait for the sequel! I’m not a really patient person but I have no choice but to be one because I might rip my hair off and end up getting bald, and I DON’T want that.
            We follow Juliette, a 17-year-old girl who has been locked up for exactly 264 days for murder. How she did it? She just touched that person and voila! Dead. Juliette has always been alone, but not until she found out she’ll have a roommate, and what surprised her the most was he’s a guy. And that’s when the changes in her life begin.
            I really love Mafi’s writing style. It’s refreshing and all new to me, and my only problem with it is sometimes there are redundant phrases, but that didn’t affect the awesomeness with the plot.
            The premise is innovative, unique and riveting, and I found myself on the edge of my seat as I read. There were no dull moments and the romantic scenes, omg. I had to fan myself because it’s making me warm and giddy inside. Juliette and Adam’s relationship was really sweet. I love how Adam will do everything to protect Juliette from harm. He’s gentle, yet fierce, and he kicks ass. Warner is another character who also caught my eye. He’s ruthless, dark, and sexy, and although he’s the antagonist of the story, I couldn’t bring myself to hate him. In fact, I think he’s really interesting, and I can’t wait to read more of him in the sequel.
            Shatter me is a delicious mix of Dystopia and Paranormal Romance and I definitely recommend this to everyone who enjoys these genres.


I give this book four whales.

No comments:

Post a Comment

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs