Sunday, November 04, 2012

Review: Temptation (Temptation #1) by Karen Ann Hopkins

Title: Temptation (Temptation #1)
Author: Karen Ann Hopkins
Published:  June 26th 2012 by Harlequin Teen
Book given by the author
Book Description:
Your heart misleads you.
That's what my friends and family say.  

But I love Noah. 
And he loves me.  

We met and fell in love in the sleepy farming community of Meadowview, while we rode our horses together through the grassy fields and in those moments in each other's arms. 

It should be  

ROSE & NOAH  

forever, easy. 

But it won't be. 

Because he's Amish. 
And I'm not.


MY THOUGHTS:


Temptation is deliciously good. I was completely blown away by the story. Forbidden Love, heartache and sacrifice, this book is one of the finest love stories out there.

The story is seen in dual perspectives, Rose’s and Noah’s. Both came from two completely different words, modern and traditional. Rose and her family moved to Meadowview and lived in the middle of Amish community. There she met Noah, an incredibly handsome Amish boy. At first it was just a crush, but things went deeper…..They fell in love. Can their love flourish? Who will sacrifice? You have to pick up this book to find out.

The world building is incredible. It’s realistic and very well made. My idea of Amish is quite sketchy but that did not hinder me in reading this book. Karen did a great job in describing Rose and Noah’s world. She made sure that the readers will understand/picture what an Amish community is. I was completely blown away. I even did some more research about the Amish. That’s how interested I’ am. Again, I’m impressed by Karen’s ability to draw the readers inside. I also like how she made the love story unique. Not that forbidden love is new and all, but the romance between an English and Amish is something original and refreshing.  It can totally happen in real life.

The characters are well developed and memorable. I connected to Rose and Noah instantly. I felt their instant connection. Their maturity despite their young age made me love them more. Plus the dual perspectives gave this book extra points. As a reader, knowing their thoughts and emotions made it easier for me to bond with them.

Rose is easy to like. She’s independent, brave, smart and selfless. Yes, selfless. I can’t really say why since I don’t want to post spoilers here. She sees things in a different way or thinks outside the box. Her bravery to go into the unknown amazes me. Noah is such an interesting character. Imagine a guy from the 1900’s… Yes, if you like chivalry acts, old fashion and gentlemanly manners then Noah is the guy for you. I was totally in love with him in this book.

Okay, my thoughts about the Amish way of life… I had my “What in the world?” moments. I have nothing against the Amish community. I actually like how grounded and devoted they are to their religion. But the “men are better than women thing” gave me some eye rolling moments.  

As for the love angle, it was intense yet innocent. If you believe in “Love at first sight” then this book is for you. I don’t know why Forbidden Love appeals to me so much. I think it’s because of the sneaking thing. You know, meeting your lover in secluded places, going against the rules and jumping into the unknown. The adrenaline rush of not wanting to be seen gave these stories some spice. Temptation has all that. Noah and Rose’s relationship is heart melting and highly emotional. The ending left me wanting for more.

Overall, this book is a marvelous read. If you like to be glued on your chair, then this book is for you. I can’t wait to read Belonging!!!

I give this book 4.5 whales.

7 comments:

  1. I love when books are told from dual perspectives. And ugh "Forbidden Love, heartache and sacrifice" I'm sold! This sounds like a fab read, thanks for the beautiful review! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed this! I haven't read many books with Amish themes, but I do find the culture really interesting and can't wait to find out more. Brilliant review! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous7:51 AM

    I've heard about this but I haven't given it much attention until now. I also like forbidden love, for some reason. Maybe it is because it is a bit tragic and I am a sucker for those kinds of things.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review! I'll have to pick this one up! Love your blog design too - super freaking cute <3.
    -heather

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I love that this book intrigued you enough to research the Amish yourself! That tells me how truly great this story must be :)

    Jesse @ Pretty in Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you liked it so much, because it was my first DNF this year. I didn't like the characters, I couldn't buy there instant-love and I became annoyed by the whole "men are better" thing. The story felt a bit too flat and slow for me, but I can definitely understand why you liked it after reading your lovely review :)

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs