Wednesday, February 01, 2012

Review Arc: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1) by Robin LaFEVERS


Title: Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin #1)
Author: R.L. LaFevers
Expected publication: April 3rd 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
ARC given by the publisher

Book Description:

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae's most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?


My Thoughts:


Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

                Ismae has always believed that she’s a curse after knowing that she was sired by the God of Death himself. She lived a life of misery and hatred, but all that changed when she was given a chance to stay at the convent that serves St. Mortain, the God of death.
                This book was absolutely gorgeous and brilliant! Just… WOW! I was completely hooked once I started reading this! R.L LaFevers did a great job building Ismae’s historical, fantasy world. Everything seemed believable and real, and I felt that I’m also there myself, watching the characters come to life. I love the characters, even the minor ones. I can’t help but sympathize with them, especially the young duchess, Anne. At the young age of twelve, she carried the responsibility of protecting Brittany from the clutches of France. Ismae is a strong heroine and I adore her for listening to her own heart for following the path she must choose. She’s an awesome assassin and her gadgets are so cool! I want her bracelet! The way Ismae and Duval’s relationship grew was also sweet. I love how their understanding with each other grew and they really make a good team.
                The plot was fast-paced and thrilling that it had me to the edge of my seat. There were deceptions, assassinations, political conflicts and of course, romance. The story is unique and refreshing. I enjoyed every bit of it!
                R.L. LaFevers presented the readers with an exhilarating plot with a really strong voice. The characters are unique and likeable in their own way, and the world she built completely sucked me out of reality.
                Those who enjoy reading novels with strong heroines, historical settings, awesome assassins and gorgeous dukes and knights will definitely enjoy Grave Mercy.

I give this book 4.5 whales.





3 comments:

  1. That is one gorgeous cover! And the story sounds so interesting! Definatley will be picking this up when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a really awesome book Addie! :D

      Delete
  2. A classic read, I was immediately sucked into this one. Written as if one were living in the 12th century, Ms. LaFevers did a fantastic job of recreating the old language and dialogue of ancient times. It isn't like reading a story someone wrote about the 12th century, it's like hearing a story from someone while you're in the 12th century. I loved it.

    The dialogue was unbelievable and the plot kept me guessing till the very end. Filled with intrique, mystery and thrills, this title is definitely going to be huge. I can see a movie here folks. Yes, it was that good.

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs