Sunday, March 04, 2012

Review: Percy Jackson 1-5


Title: Percy Jackson and The Olympians ( 1-5)
Author: Rick Riordan

Book Description:

 
After getting expelled from yet another school for yet another clash with mythological monsters only he can see, twelve-year-old Percy Jackson is taken to Camp Half-Blood, where he finally learns the truth about his unique abilities: He is a demigod, half human, half immortal. Even more stunning: His father is the Greek god Poseidon, ruler of the sea, making Percy one of the most powerful demigods alive. There's little time to process this news. All too soon, a cryptic prophecy from the Oracle sends Percy on his first quest, a mission to the Underworld to prevent a war among the gods of Olympus.
 


My Thoughts:
 
“Great, I thought. We just blowtorched a national monument.” 
 
All right, I know almost all of you know this particular series. Who wouldn’t? I mean they made a movie out of it (although I love the movie, the book is waaaaayyyy better!) Anyways, I was really itching to read this series for many months now. Unfortunately, I don’t have enough money to buy the hardbound box set resulting to me waiting for the paperback to be released. It took so long that I’ve already read a lot of books and was tempted to borrow one from my classmates but in the end, I waited and finally a book fair arrived and I literally went all spazzy (crazy) when I found a box set all in paperback! Okay enough of my crazy, how did I get the book and back to my review. ^_^
 
Prior to reading this, I have absolutely no idea about Greek gods and goddesses. I might know Hercules because of the Disney movie and maybe the famous ones like Hades and Zeus but the rest I might draw a blank. That’s why after reading this whole series for just two days (I did it on a weekend and actually read the whole day), I got a crash course learning about Greek mythology minus the long indiscernible sentences and confusing words.
 
In addition, I really like the idea the author, Rick Riordan, made the Olympus shift from Greece to the Empire State Building. I felt that’s really unique and awesome. Especially if it’s true that Hades' door is at Hollywood.
 
Also, his characters are just adorable. The way they deliver their lines makes me laugh and is so wittingly made. It makes reading enjoyable and nice.
 
Some say that this book is kind of a rip off from Harry Potter and to tell you the truth I haven’t even notice it. I think two ideas are different with each other and the similarities when I think about it is having 3 protagonists (a girl and 2 boys, though in Percy Jackson, Grover might not fall in the boy category) and one evil dude (Kronos and Voldemort). But overall I think they are both brilliant books and should not be compared with one another.
 
Its plot is unique but simple that when you read it, you can imagine what is happening but would be also left in slight confusion on what will happen next.
 
This is a book made for children but adults and child at heart would enjoy it.
 
So, in the end I’ll give it 5 whales and be sure to read the whole series. :)






4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to read this series, but haven't had the chance to do so. How much did you purchase the set for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello. yup you should really try reading it. ^_^ It's original price is P1215.00 (that's in Philippine Pesos) but since I bought it in a book fair it went on sale so it was around P900+. I'm not sure about it's price for the other country but here in the Philippines it's a real bargain to get 5 books for P900 pesos. ^_^ Hope that helps :) -The Dreamer

      Delete
  2. I also love love love this series. It is definitely one of my favorites. Glad to hear that you also enjoyed them and enjoyed learning about the greek mythology which is one of my favorite parts of the stories! Thanks for the great review of the series!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for liking my review. Really love this series and seriously despite my busy schedule, I can't seem to put it down. Started reading the next series hope you're starting on it too. :)
      -- The Dreamer

      Delete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs