Saturday, May 12, 2012

Whale Unveil: The Fairy Tale Keeper: Avenging the Queen by Andrea Cefalo

The Fairy Tale Keeper by Andrea Cefalo

Book Description:
Snow White was a pet name her mother had given her, but her mother’s dead now. Adelaide hates that name anyway. A rampant fever claimed Adelaide’s mother just like a thousand others in Cologne where the people die without Last Rites and the dead are dumped in a large pit outside of the city walls. Adelaide’s father is determined to obtain a funeral for his wife, but that requires bribing the parish priest, Father Soren. When Soren commits an unforgivable atrocity, he pushes Adelaide to her breaking point, but if she seeks justice against the cruel priest, she risks sacrificing everything: her father, her friends, her first love, and maybe even her life.
Andrea Cefalo
Author behind "The Fairytale Keeper"

        Give us 4 random facts about you (Be Creative)
1.       My children are black and furry. They answer to the names “Pretty Girl” and “Quigley.”
2.       I hate coffee.
3.       I used to be a Montessori teacher.
4.       I’ve been to almost every Western European country except for Germany.

     What inspired you to write “The Fairytale Keeper”
A lecture about the commonalities of fairy tales inspired The Fairytale Keeper series.  My professor said that nearly all cultures have a Cinderella story which made me wonder if one person, living thousands of years ago, could have been the real Cinderella.  Could it be possible that this one girl spawned all the different versions of the story?  Well, that’s probably not likely, but it did get me brainstorming.  I am especially fond of Grimm’s fairy tales so I twisted my unlikely hypothesis into the presumption that one girl could have been the origin of Grimm’s most famous fairy tales.

Favorite scene to write?
I like writing dreams because they allow me to put a little fantasy in an otherwise realistic story. 

Any advice to aspiring writers?
Learn as much about the publishing industry as you can if you intend to see your work on bookshelves.

Favorite ice cream flavor
That depends on my mood.  Today, I’d like peanut butter fudge.


SNEAK PEEK BELOW

   
 Excerpt 


The following is an excerpt from chapter three in which Adelaide is having a dream about events that took place nine month prior. It is a night when she and Ivo decided to sneak to catch fireflies.
Ivo collects the jars and twists the lids open. The flies scatter, flashing through the mist as the thunder grows louder.

I walk toward the tree and rest against it, staring at my empty jar, haunted by the fly’s message.
Ivo follows, leaning next to me and I sigh.
“Ah, don’t be a sore sport,” he laughs and nudges me with his elbow.
“No, that’s not it,” I say. He stands silently, waiting for me to continue. “Do you think I am weak?”
“When it comes to catching fireflies? Yes, you are terribly weak.”He smiles widely. I shake my head and cannot help but smile back.  I nudge him in the ribs.
 “Be serious! Do you think I am weak?”
He smirks, looks down at the ground, and shuffles his feet a little as he thinks. He sighs and shakes the hair from his face.“We all have weaknesses…” he says, staring straight forward. His
fingertips brush the inside of my hand. “But it’s the people, the things that we have weaknesses for that bring us the strength and courage to do what we must.” His fingers wrap around my hand and
my pulse quickens.


2 comments:

  1. Looks interesting! I love anything to do with fairytales!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eustacia,
      Same here, I love fairytales and the retelling of it. Can't wait to read this book. Thanks for stopping by
      -TheUnseelieNerd

      Delete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs