Friday, June 08, 2012

Tour Stop: Review: The Glimpse by Claire Merle



Title: The Glimpse
Author: Claire Merle
Published: June 7th 2012 by Faber & Faber (UK)
ARC taken from Netgalley
Book Description:
In a near future, society is segregated according to whether people are genetically disposed to mental illness. 17-year-old Ana has been living the privileged life of a Pure due to an error in her DNA test. When the authorities find out, she faces banishment from her safe Community, a fate only thwarted by the fact that she has already been promised to Pure-boy Jasper Taurell. 

When Jasper disappears, Ana sets off on his trail, determined to solve the mystery of his abduction. In doing so she journeys into the darkest corners of society, and uncovers some devastating truths that destroy everything she’s ever believed. 



LILA CHARACTER PROFILE:

Name: Lila Aimes

Born: October16th 2025. Fifteen years old.

Defining qualities: Warm, bubbly.

Supporting Trait: Devoted to her half-brother Cole Winter.
                                                 
Greatest strength/ greatest weakness: Believes in ‘higher plans’. Believes everything will ‘work out’ the way it’s supposed to.

Shadow Trait: Resilient/ tough

Book extract from the first time Ana meets Lila:
A girl, not more than sixteen, perched on a stool at the back of a narrow alcove. A dozen mobiles of various sizes hung from the alcove’s black velvet ceiling. The girl’s dark clothes and bobbed, jet-black hair merged with the back- drop, so that for a moment it seemed as if she was emerging from a shadow world, face luminous as the moon. A band of eyeshadow, like a superhero mask, streaked the girl’s blue eyes. Her hennaed fingers plaited strands of colour into a bracelet. (The Glimpse)

Lila quote:
Ana felt as though there was a glitch in time. For a moment, everything seemed to freeze. Her own life had been ruined by a test that meant nothing to Lila.
‘You decide who you are, Ana,’ Lila said gently. ‘Not some test.’ (The Glimpse)


My Thoughts:

                What drawn me to read this book was when I read the blurb. A story about mental illnesses? Yes please! Call me weird, but the topic is fascinating for me (considering that I’m from the medical field and all). After reading this, I had mixed feelings regarding this book, and to sum it all, I’m gonna divide it to what I liked and disliked.

What I liked:
·         ♦That awesome cover! :D
·         ♦The concept. I really enjoy reading something new, and well, I’ve never read any YA book about mental illnesses (and a bit paranormal) before so it’s all new to me.
·         ♦The fact that it’s set in a futuristic world with awesome technologies is big plus point for me
·         ♦How Ana’s character grew. We see her as an innocent, naïve girl at the beginning of the book. But when Jasper disappeared, she walked out of her comfort zone to go and find out the truth. I really think that she’s a brave girl.
·         ♦Cole, Cole, and Cole. He’s one interesting character to read, and I love how he’s such a gentleman (plus he can play the piano and composes his own music!). His determination to fight what he believes is also what drew me to him.
·         ♦Lila.  Well, she’s a fun character to read and she added more “fun” to the story.

What I disliked:
·         ♦The “mental illness is contagious” part because first of all, it is NOT contagious. It isn’t like a cough or cold that can be easily transmitted from one person to another.
·         ♦The shifting of POV’s. I’m actually not a big fan of 3rd person POV and I prefer reading those written in 1st person POV, but written well, 3rd person’s are okay with me. I get a bit confused with the shifting because one thing it’s focused only to the MC and then it shifts to omniscient.
·         ♦Some of the characters seemed flat.

Overall, this book was still a fun read for me, although personally, this would’ve been so much better if developed more because it has so much potential. This is recommended to those who love dystopias.

I give this book 3 whales.




6 comments:

  1. I agree. Mental illnesses are not contagious! but it makes for a cool concept.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the concept is cool! :D
      -- ICE

      Delete
  2. Too bad the rating is so low. The cover looked good to me too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Readers also have mixed reactions regarding this book, but I'm staying neutral on this one. I don't hate it, but I'm not crazy about it either. :D
      -- ICE

      Delete
  3. Yes, I loved the cover! And mental-illness book are weirdly fascinating to me too. :D Great review. I can't wait to see how I like The Glimpse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can't wait to see what you think of it!
      -- ICE

      Delete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs