Wednesday, January 09, 2013

Review: Reaping Me Softly by Kate Evangelista



 Reaping Me Softly
Title: Reaping Me Softly
Author: Kate Evangelista
Published: October 30th 2012 by Omnific Publishing
Copy was provided by the author
Book Description:
Ever since a near-death-experience on the operating table, seventeen-year-old Arianne Wilson can see dead people. Just as she’s learned to accept her new-found talents, she discovers that the boy she’s had a crush on since freshman year, Niko Clark, is a Reaper.

At last they have something in common, but that doesn’t mean life is getting any easier. All while facing merciless bullying from the most powerful girl in school, Arianne’s world is turned upside down after Niko accidentally reaps the soul of someone she loves. This sends them both into a spiral that threatens to end Arianne’s life. But will Niko break his own Reaper’s code to save her? And what would the consequences be if he did?


My Thoughts:

(Thank you Kate for the awesome paperback copy! *hugs* Just look at that awesome cover!)

Ever since I finished reading Kate’s first published novel, Taste, I immediately became a big fan of hers and was very much looking forward to more works from her. So when I found out that she has a trilogy, I was thrilled. Very, very thrilled. And I was lucky enough to get a paperback copy from her. I’ve always loved the idea of Grim Reapers so when I found out that this is the concept of her book, it only made me more excited to read it.

Ari can see dead people. Well, actually their souls, after a near-death-experience, and her life isn’t getting easier with her beloved sister being confined in a hospital, plus the persistent bullying of the school’s Queen Bee, Darla. The only thing that can get her through the day is seeing her longtime crush, Niko, who doesn’t even know she existed until they became partners in Chemistry class. And that’s where the real story begins.

I really enjoyed reading this book, and it was a fun and light read that I easily finished it. I loved how Kate weaved a unique concept about reapers where they are actually just “underlings” of Death himself, and how they can grow old, make friends, have a family and also die. The idea of having a reaper council and having one assigned in every state was also one aspect that made the book more interesting. The characters are very likeable. Ari is a good protagonist, and I especially love her best friend, Ben, and her sister Carrie. And Niko is… well, what’s not to like?

I have to admit that I expected this book to have some action, but it mainly focused on romance. I love a good romance whenever I read a novel and I have to say that Reaping me Slowly passed with flying colors in that aspect. Although it would be more awesome if some action were added to it.

All in all, I definitely recommend Reaping me Slowly, especially those who loves romance. The ending was such a cliffhanger and I can’t wait to read the next book!

I give this book 4.5 reaping whales.




 

11 comments:

  1. Put you on the list of an ARC for Til Death. *winks*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg! Really?? Thank you soo much Kate! *hugs*

      -- ICE

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of this one. I've read several reaping books recently and this one is a must for my list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is definitely a must read! :D

      -- ICE

      Delete
  3. I read and enjoyed this as well, Ice. I forgot about the cliffhanger! I was surprised about the mean-girl aspect of this story because it wasn't the normal story. I liked that it was different. Great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely want to read this one now! Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds great. I like action in a novel, but romance is where it's at for me. And that cover! OMG it is so pretty!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not sure if I'd like to read it if it ends in a cliffhanger. I love romance, but I'd like not too be teased:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've been pining after this one for awhile! This is the first review I have read on it though. So glad you liked it! It makes me more excited to read it! I do like cliffhangers and romance so it sounds like it one will be a winner. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do sometimes enjoy a focus on the romance if it works well and it sounds like that's the case here. I love the cover for this book. So pretty! I will have to give this a try one day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like romance but I like to know that is what I am getting into. I have been excited about Reaping Me Softly for a while. That cover is awesome!!! Thanks to you, I think I will be able to enjoy this more, since I know what to expect. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs