Saturday, February 09, 2013

Spotlight: Gated by Amy Christine Parker

Book Description:  
Do the gates keep the unchosen out or the chosen in?
In Mandrodage Meadows, life seems perfect. The members of this isolated suburban community have thrived under Pioneer, the charismatic leader who saved them from their sad, damaged lives. Lyla Hamilton and her parents are original members of the flock. They moved here following the 9/11 terrorist attacks, looking to escape the evil in the world. Now seventeen, Lyla knows certain facts are not to be questioned:

Pioneer is her leader.

Will is her Intended.

The end of the world is near.

Like Noah before him, Pioneer has been told of the imminent destruction of humanity. He says his chosen must arm themselves to fight off the unchosen people, who will surely seek refuge in the compound's underground fortress--the Silo.

Lyla loves her family and friends, but given the choice, she prefers painting to target practice. And lately she'd rather think about a certain boy outside the compound than plan for married life in the Silo with Will. But with the end of days drawing near, she will have to pick up a gun, take a side, and let everyone know where she stands.
Amy Christine Parker
Interview:

1. What inspired you to write the Gated?


    I was watching a TV show about people who were building these underground shelters to prepare for the world’s end and it just intrigued me. The shelters were not your run of the mill bomb shelters, but basically luxury apartments under the ground that sold for over a million dollars a piece. It got me thinking about what kind of person might shell out that kind of money and how people become convinced that the end is near. The story grew from there.


2.Book/s you look forward to read this year?


There are so many! It’s hard to name just a few. On the young adult side of things there quite a few of them are also debuts this time around, actually. I’m dying to read Elsie Chapman’s DUALED, Kelsey Sutton’s SOME QUIET PLACE, Romily Bernard’s FIND ME and so, so many others. On the adult side of things I’m dying to get my hands on Stephen King’s next two books set to come out this year-I am a big fan of his and (although it came out this past year), I’m intent on reading Justin Cronin’s THE TWELVE. I really, really liked THE PASSAGE and am dying to see where that story goes next.


3. Favorite Starbucks drink (if coffee drinker)


I’m an iced tea girl and so this would have to be a Venti Black tea/Lemonade.

5 comments:

  1. Ooh Some Place Quiet is a book I'm really looking forward to also. Gated sounds brilliant, too. I love the premise for this title, and can't wait to get my hands on it. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gated sound really exciting, and that front cover is fantastic. Something I would definitely be drawn to in a bookshop.

    Your interview with Amy was great! I loved reading about where Amy got her inspiration from. Thank you so much for sharing this with us! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It never occurred to me to get anything but coffee at Starbucks. Oh, and a snack, of course.

    Nice post.

    Anna @ http://emaginette.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I watched that show about the people building million dollar condos in the missile silo and my first thought was "that would make an awesome plot for a book." Oh, I am definitely reading this! Great interview. Thanks for sharing!

    Jesse @ Pretty In Fiction

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love post-apocalyptic stories, so the insight into the author's inspiration behind this novel really interests me. I hadn't heard of this book before, so thanks for spotlighting it!

    Wendy @ The Midnight Garden

    ReplyDelete

We really appreciate it if you can leave a comment and tell us what you think!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs